The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fan belt prices from toyota

mr keef

Hello all just phoned toyota for a price on a new fan belt for my 1994 j spec tt and fekin hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they said 72 pound plus vat???????????ya fekin jokin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: is there any other way??is this price right??can i get 1 from anywhere cheaper?

thanks everyone keef

Originally posted by Gaz Walker

Keef,

I can pass you on some discount but that is the retail price!

Personally I wouldn't use a non-genuine item.

Gaz.

I'd agree if we were talking about a cam belt......... but a common or garden drive belt?????

You serious???

I could buy five for the price of an OEM

If you're worried buy two ..... and keep one in the boot for a spare

just took a look today and the one thats on looks pretty slack,is the 14mm nut the one thats in the center of the sprocket that the belt goes round? that seems to be on the bottom of the tensioner?to tighten or take the old belt off?tensioner moves when i put a bar and lean on it but the nut doesnt seem to hold it tight any ideas?

cheers lads:stupid:

Come on chaps, you all put loads of non stock parts on the engine when it suits, just to get a bit more power, or make it look pretty :)

I'm fairly sure that Toyota outsource the manufacture of parts like fanbelts and then just stick a hefty premium on them.

I'd go for a fan belt from the local motor factors and spend the change giving the car a service if it needs one.

Things like oil filters, cam belts, brake pads etc. MAY be better as OEM parts, but with fanbelts I'd take the chance :D

As always IMHO and YMMV :p

i went to get this belt as well at weekend. i got a better price from toyota...... £70.60 :p

lol

i told him id come back. I take it you are on about the belt that does, air con, power sterring etc (and i think fan belt,thats why asking is this same belt).... if this snaps it is no big deal anyway. AS you just pull over and get another one fitted after being towed back. I dont think there is actually anything mechanical engine wise attached to it.(waits to be corrected)

If anyone can get one cheaper Please PM me details as i managed to get a Cam belt for £20...hard to believe the drive train belt should be £70.

I am NA but apparently bloke says they use same Drive train belt. they better do!!! :devil:

You won't think it's no problem if it snaps when you're going round a roundabout and you suddenly have no power steering and can't steer the car :eek:.

Having said that, it's probably no more likely to than an original one, but you definitely wouldn't want it snapping!

• 4 years later...
Come on chaps, you all put loads of non stock parts on the engine when it suits, just to get a bit more power, or make it look pretty :)

I'm fairly sure that Toyota outsource the manufacture of parts like fanbelts and then just stick a hefty premium on them.

I'd go for a fan belt from the local motor factors and spend the change giving the car a service if it needs one.

Things like oil filters, cam belts, brake pads etc. MAY be better as OEM parts, but with fanbelts I'd take the chance :D

As always IMHO and YMMV :p

Agreed!

Most service parts are outsourced, these are most likely made by a major manufacture, and just stamped "Toyota" and this also applies to filters, pads, disc's etc.

I have used pattern parts for years, and have yet to find that any are sub standard;)