The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Twin vs single

Guest supra_man

Guest supra_man

Hi everyone,

probably wont be buying for a while but starting to get all the info I can as I'm hoping (touch wood) to make it a really big project, aiming for 1000+hp. Currently, I'm on the 'twin vs single' option.

Most of the big power supras I see are singles but the Garrett GTX3582R turbo, in a twin set-up would have faster spool up times (I think) and are rated up to 1500hp. Obviously need to plan for all the extras to go with it, fuel system, ignition system etc... just looking for the best option to go with for big power and acceleration times.

All info is much appreciated.

Thanks

Not many people will be able to give you advice on 1000+ bhp builds, , only a handful of them in the UK, i would suggest talking to Lee of SRD, he knows big single and big twin installs inside out.

Out of interest, whats your budget for the build and what do you plan to use the car for?

Guest supra_man

Thanks a lot, I'll get in touch with him for information. I haven't really set a definitive budget, I just know its going to be expensive. I plan on using it for track days, shows, drag racing...everything I can really. Nothing like going fast.

Also, how would I go about contacting him?

Thanks

Not many people will be able to give you advice on 1000+ bhp builds, , only a handful of them in the UK, i would suggest talking to Lee of SRD, he knows big single and big twin installs inside out.

Out of interest, whats your budget for the build and what do you plan to use the car for?

:yeahthat:

Building a 500hp single is relatively easy (though still expensive) 1000hp will be hugely expensive to do right and require some top expertise.

Also, running a 1000hp Supra as a track car will be very expensive. Running one as a road car is probably unnecessary, a 600hp one will give you 95% of the performance on our roads, and be much cheaper to build and maintain.

Hi everyone,

probably wont be buying for a while but starting to get all the info I can as I'm hoping (touch wood) to make it a really big project, aiming for 1000+hp. Currently, I'm on the 'twin vs single' option.

Most of the big power supras I see are singles but the Garrett GTX3582R turbo, in a twin set-up would have faster spool up times (I think) and are rated up to 1500hp. Obviously need to plan for all the extras to go with it, fuel system, ignition system etc... just looking for the best option to go with for big power and acceleration times.

All info is much appreciated.

Thanks

I think 2x GTX35Rs would be lag city, unless you went 3.4 stroker with high revs. Personally, if you're doing twins, GTX30R's would give best results.

As a single car, for the road, a GTX35R would be a great turbo IMO.

I've got a HKS Twin with GT3037's (GT3076's) and that makes 0.5bar by 4000rpm. Add 1000 more to that at least for the GTX35R I reckon.

EDIT: Budget for £10k, but prepare to have some contingency too.

£10k for a 1000-1500bhp build? think again mate.

We wish ehh JP !!!!!

The difference in spool between a 3.0 and 3.4L is unbelievable, my 3.0 would barely spool the T6 turbo on my car in fact without retarding the exhaust cam and doing some tricky stuff with ignition it would not even build boost on a 2 step, we had to use nitrous to get any spool at all, a 150 shot had it spooling by 3500rpm. You can also use the nitrous to spool the turbo in a very different way, you would be shooting a very small shot for under a second just to spool the turbo and then only when in 'play' mode. My turbo is supposed to be good for 1500hp with no nitrous and it spools ok with the 3.4 and Titan 280 full race cams and thats with the 1.52 un divided rear housing, had they supplied the 1.32 divided it would spool fine for a road car but sacrifice some top end power.

Yup, more like £35-40k to do it right imo.

Minimum I would say JP, you need a fair bit of safety equipment at that HP as well, you could easy spend $15,000 on a gearbox and clutch (I am this winter, going sequential air shifted) another $2500 on a prop, $1000 on drive shafts and studs and $2000 on a diff set up then you just need an engine, turbo, inlet worked head, race cams, fuel system, brakes etc oh and ecu, mapping, fuel !!! Rollcage, scatter shield, prop hoop.Nitrous kit, huge FMIC, throttle body and a car to start with.

I was only adding up the engine side of things to get the power, as you say, a lot more to it than just getting the horse power, depending on how tomorrow goes i might need a new clutch now, another $5200 plus import duty and delivery.

I was only adding up the engine side of things to get the power, as you say, a lot more to it than just getting the horse power, depending on how tomorrow goes i might need a new clutch now, another $5200 plus import duty and delivery.

Bloody hell. Aren't you on the twin carbon?

Tilton's are on back order dude !!!!!!:(

Ok that leads me to question ive always had on my mind, this is to the guys that have done the big builds 30k+.

Did you have an idea that its going to cost this from the start, or was it a case of costs spiraling out due to unforseen stuff?

And also given the chance to start again from stracth would you have bought one thats already built i.e the envy supra, jays supra etc.