The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Reselling an NA, after it's been changed to a TT6...

suprasize

Hello,

Okay just want to pick some peoples brains as I'm working a 13hour night shift and all I have for company is my iPhone and a load of unanswered questions...

Had thought about this before but wanted to see what the general feel is around purchasing a fully converted SZ non turbo to a more costly TT6.

I mean, would anyone pay the same price tag for a decent NA-TT6 supra as they would for a GZ or RZ?

Just wanted to know if I took that route (as I've just spent a small fortune on tidying up my NA) if it's be financially viable :).

A much lower price? I generally see TT6's go from anything up to £10,000 approx... NA-TT6 wouldn't that fetch around that figure roughly? (Based on the idea that both cars are a high grade standard) and all the work on the NA was done by a reputable company...

It depends on loads of other factors not just the engine/gearbox IMO, how many miles have the converted parts seen? How many miles on the sz before conversion? What other mods have you placed on it? Service history? Has it been in an accident? What conditions the paintwork? List goes on and on!

Personally I wouldn't pay more than 7k for a well sorted NA-TT6 as for a gfrand or two more you can buy a well sorted TT6 without the NA history!

All of which is just my opinion of course :)

i cant see what difference it makes, it still has all the original parts from a supra. I wud say spilt the car into bits you would get more that way

Insurance for one will be higher as it's not it's original form, also the SZ may not have ABS Trac etc as a RZ or GZ would have!

Plus you always run the risk of the conversion not being performed properly, in most cases no identification of the mileage the gearbox/ engine has seen, there's nothing stopping the seller saying it's done 60k whereas in hindsight it couldve done 160k!

Edited by RobD (see edit history)

Depends who has done the conversion and how its been done for a start, these arent matching number classic cars. What if someone wrote off a TT6 and reshelled it with a NA and put the TT6 chassis number on it! How would you tell? Would my car or JP's Lee P's be worth any less if they started as NA's ?? There may be a few ££££ in it but I bet there are more than a few driving round and prob on the forum that owners don't know about, unless you actually check the chassis number and know how to decipher it you wont know.

I understand all of what your saying dude, tbh from a buyers point of view it's a safer bet to buy a RZ TT6 as meant to be by Toyota rather than a SZ with possible flaws. However, if all of the above quieries are well documented, as in proof of services on both engines, including a transplant with a fully serviced TT lump which has paperwork to show this, maybe the value will be better, however if I'm personally honest I'd rather have a RZ but insurance says no. But I did get a quote from Adrian flux for a TT transplant into my SZ on top of my renewal and it worked out cheaper than a quote on a already made up RZ stock... £200 more to be precise.

I think resell values are all down to how much a seller is willing to agree with, and a buyer is will to part with

supradibbs I'm sure started life as a NA but sold as a single for 20k+... I may be wrong, and I know that car had alot of £££ spent to get it to where it was, but surely a good tidy car can be worth around a RZ maybe. Just down to the buyer trusting the seller maybe.

Depends who has done the conversion and how its been done for a start, these arent matching number classic cars. What if someone wrote off a TT6 and reshelled it with a NA and put the TT6 chassis number on it! How would you tell? Would my car or JP's Lee P's be worth any less if they started as NA's ?? There may be a few ££££ in it but I bet there are more than a few driving round and prob on the forum that owners don't know about, unless you actually check the chassis number and know how to decipher it you wont know.

I totaly agree

Insurance for one will be higher as it's not it's original form, also the SZ may not have ABS Trac etc as a RZ or GZ would have!

I just paid £331 fully comp for the insurance so sure thats about the same as any one else on here if not cheaper. Thats with the transplant and running bpu on a uk engine

Thought the tc was useless so most people cut that anyway and went after market????? Think its as people say something is only worth what someone is willing to pay. If i look at a car and see its well looked after then i will pay that little bit more. Doesnt mean to say that a looked after engine today wont break tomorrow.

It is heart breaking to think it but i would split the car and sell for parts. Thats what i would do to stop all this your cars worth less cause its not original. If its fitted properly i cant see the difference. A jap tt may not have the original engine anyway u would never know.

In Sweden we must order from Toyota a paper stating everything about the car, also we need to pay for a backround check of the vehicle.

You cant even get a Single (originally a TT) to pass the MOT.

It's basically just to take out the modified engine, replace with a standard one when doing the MOT and then change back.

"financially viable" in your first post...........major modification of this type is rarely fiancially viable, just as your money spent on the NA wasn't. This is not to say the money spent is a waste or that it hasn't made the car better etc its just that it won't have been financially viable as most money spent on cars isn't!

If you just mean what route is the least financially unviable :) , personally i'd side with the selling of the na and buying of a tt as the most cost effective. What are you looking at for a conversion 6k fitted minimum? When you see the odd nice bpu TT 6 speed for 8-9K in the classifieds I'd question the financial viability even assuming they achieve the same final prices.

"financially viable" in your first post...........major modification of this type is rarely fiancially viable, just as your money spent on the NA wasn't. This is not to say the money spent is a waste or that it hasn't made the car better etc its just that it won't have been financially viable as most money spent on cars isn't!

If you just mean what route is the least financially unviable :) , personally i'd side with the selling of the na and buying of a tt as the most cost effective. What are you looking at for a conversion 6k fitted minimum? When you see the odd nice bpu TT 6 speed for 8-9K in the classifieds I'd question the financial viability even assuming they achieve the same final prices.

Couldn't agree more :). Modifying cars is like throwing money into a blackhole... but if you enjoy the car it's priceless. However, I cannot afford £9000 in one go on a weekend car, I just enjoy building the car as my insurance allows (I'm 22, bought my supra when I was 20 and a RZ or GZ was a no)... The price of a TT transplant supply and fit through Keron came to £1900.

Just seems like a mod I can maybe benefit from on the resale of my NA, with the enjoyment of a TT.

It's interesting to hear peoples views on this, keep on posting ;)

Well i've been in a 5 speed TT and it was great, and given your circumstances re insurance etc then I think at kerons price it would be very sensible to go this route. 6 speed is only really necessary for bigger power and its a lot of money for no real gain at stock or minor bpu power.

TBH at the price this conversion seems a win win, I seriously doubt you would struggle to get the £1900 plus whatever the na is worth now back for the finished conversion :)

if your buying a car like for example jamies,leep, supradibss suprafans etc and these started out as NA (for example) then becuase of the spec theses will command a good price..

but your average mint NA and now tt6 bpu for example say 95 model in mint conditon VS same condition original RZ bpu both same colour and same spec (the RZ will be worth more)..

its not an RZ thats the bottom line..

EU buyers also have issues on registration so the guys that pay the higher money, for mint cars WONT buy these converted cars unless they are UNIQUE modded cars.

hope this makes sense