The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone near High Wycombe help me diagnose possible fault?

adam1983

Hi all just hoping someone can come down have a look and see if I have a major problem.

Ok symptoms I am having is White smoke coming from the exhaust. I have put my hand over the exhaust and my hand is damp after a few seconds.

The car is currently sorn so not able to take it out the garage but been running it up every few weeks to keep an eye on things.

Been here with the car run up for over half an hour now and still has occasional white smoke from the back.

The car is manual tt full bpu with no cats so not sure if that would have much difference.

The radiator also has a hairline crack at the top where the rad cap is so leaks from there a little when up to temperature.

I'm also unsure as to which way around the overflow cap should be on as the expansion tank was relocated next to the battery. At the moment I have it on upside down which I think is right.

Checked the usual things so far with regards to the steam from the back. Oil cap has no mayo looking substance or brownish milkshake look. Coolant looks ok I think but not 100% sure exactly what it should look like tbh.

So if anyone would be able to come over to me who is a bit more mechanically minded or so that I can compare what things should look like that would be highly appreciated.

There are a few beers in it too for anyone willing to come around as a thankyou.

I live near the RAF base in High Wycombe which is where I also work :)

Thats the thing mate. Before it was SORN I had issues with coolant leaking from the overflow pipe but think that was due to the cap being on the wrong way around as it was leaking from there after a drive out. When i turned the cap around the other way I have had no more issues with it leaking from there anymore but since then the radiator has cracked at the top so made very hard to keep an eye on coolant level as it could be the fact that the coolant is just leaking from the radiator and not from the exhaust.

I have run it up every few weeks and for quite a while when I have run it up too so thought that would be enough time for any condensation to clear.

I am actually saving to go single turbo and obviously dont want to be saving for no reason.

All the usual signs of HGF are not there apart from the steam from the exhaust so a bit unsure. Just need peace of mind really.

Just made a couple of videos so going to upload them now to youtube and post the links and see if anyone can help with what they see.

Also I am not actually back in work until Wednesday so if anyone is able to come down and have a look then let me know.

Normally Im 10 mins from Wycombe but this week Im up north on a course. If you can wait until next week Ill be happy to have a look.

That would be great mate unless someone can come down before obviously. I am just about to upload a few pictures and videos so take a look and see what you think.

Thanks again for the offer

A few images:

1. Showing the hairline crack in the radiator.

2. General setup of the system.

3. Expansion tank with cap on upside down. Is this right?

4. Oil cap with no signs of mayo.

5. Underside of Expansion cap. Is it the right way around?

DSCN1615.JPG

DSCN1616.JPG

DSCN1618.JPG

DSCN1620.JPG

DSCN1621.JPG

This one is just the exhaust from a warm start:

[video=youtube;nHA1jj-vNUY]

This one is a short walk around showing everything I have checked so far:

If anyone can suggest anything else or anything wrong they see from the videos then please let me know :)

The water vapour from the exhaust looks normal for a car that's been stood, once you've got the radiator replaced get the engine up to temp whilst ticking over, all being well take it for a test drive and keep an eye on the temps.

I would say there is a good chance it is only water in the exhaust, as has been said that will take a good while to burn off if the car has been stood, thats why exhausts rot from the inside out !!!! Also heres a tip, 'mayo' on a filler cap means nothing, its when its on the dip stick you need to worry, any large engine, especially when its cold or damp will have 'mayo' on the underside of the cap unless its been on a long run.