The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Two days old and it BLEW!!!!

chris21

Ok only had it two days and Booom allready, took it to 7000RPM in third for the first time and a kinda PWhheeeew and all power gone gone gone, and a real struggle to re-start, it;s not catastophic as no oil on the ground no smoke from the exshast [spelt wrong] but I had to really nurse it home wont go above 3000rpm if you try it just dies and you gotta pump the throttle like mad to keep it going.

The engine is not blown as its still quite smooth and quiet and no blue smoke so I think maybe a turbo gone?? checked and none of the hoses blew off the coolers, and not overheating, there did seem to be a lot of smoke from the exhaust when I restarted it but gone now, dunno. when I can actually get it started gotta pump the throttle to keep it going also you can hear a loud whining noise comming from the air intake!!! oh yeah sounds like a single turbo mod comming on???? I hope so.

Any idea guys????????????????????????????????????????????????

Chris:(:(:(:(

If it's not an intercooler interconnecting hose come off (and I have lost count of the number of cars i have looked at where the owner swears blind they are all OK and found one that is split, or comes away from the hard pipe stub with a pull...), then it could be the number one turbo has failed. If it still has a cat in place you may find remnants of the turbine wheel ceramics in the cat. If I had to guess and the noise is only when the car is loaded and driven as if it were expected to make boost, I'd say a pipe. If it whines as soon as it's revved in neutral the front turbo has taken retirement.

I had the same problem yesterday, flawed it and a loud bang. Pulled the car onto the drive with it stuttering. I kept the car running and rev'ed slighty to hear what was happening. Hard pipe had come off from the inner wing. Put back on problem sorted.

If it's not an intercooler interconnecting hose come off (and I have lost count of the number of cars i have looked at where the owner swears blind they are all OK and found one that is split, or comes away from the hard pipe stub with a pull...), then it could be the number one turbo has failed. If it still has a cat in place you may find remnants of the turbine wheel ceramics in the cat. If I had to guess and the noise is only when the car is loaded and driven as if it were expected to make boost, I'd say a pipe. If it whines as soon as it's revved in neutral the front turbo has taken retirement.

this is why i sold my turbo.100% check intercooler pipes mine were a pig

Cheers gents I will take a really good look tonight when I get home, I did wander if a pipe had come off, thats exactly what it sounded like a big release of pressure,

Please how do I post pic's on these threads I cannot seem to attach them.

Cheers gents I will take a really good look tonight when I get home, I did wander if a pipe had come off, thats exactly what it sounded like a big release of pressure,

Please how do I post pic's on these threads I cannot seem to attach them.

If you have them hosted somewhere do http://www.wherever.com/mypicture.jpg(img)http://www.somewhere.com/mypicture.jpg(/img) but change the ( and ) for [ and ]

If they're too big you will have issues attaching them possibly waiting for the upload or max file size