The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Car security 'Trackers' your views please.

Brazil

Can't believe they sell these on ebay and they wonder why our insurance goes through the roof! they sell the thievin gits the stuff on Ebay for god sake! Surely there is no excuse to have one of these legaly so should be made to stop selling these to the general public.

http://www.tracker.co.uk/tracker/TrackerWhyUs.aspx. New version appears to use VHF , I guess anything to make it more hassle for for them the better let's face it no one turns a blind eye to a car alarm these days

Thank's good product and only 14 pound a month once tracker is fitted..! Well worth it after investing big money in parts and labour in a car like Single Turbo Supra's..!

Had a "Tracker" on a R32 Golf a few years back. Never had any issues with it. The only time it ever activated was after we traded it in. Got a phone call 2 weeks later saying the car was moving with the ignition off.

The only issue with these was experienced by my brother. Quite a few years ago his SL55 AMG Merc was stolen using the keys after a house burglary. When the car was recovered the dash and loom had been ripped to pieces by the thieves trying to find the tracker.

Hope that helps.

Had a "Tracker" on a R32 Golf a few years back. Never had any issues with it. The only time it ever activated was after we traded it in. Got a phone call 2 weeks later saying the car was moving with the ignition off.

The only issue with these was experienced by my brother. Quite a few years ago his SL55 AMG Merc was stolen using the keys after a house burglary. When the car was recovered the dash and loom had been ripped to pieces by the thieves trying to find the tracker.

Hope that helps.

I think it would be better not advertising that it has a tracker like sickers etc..! Incase a thief does what they did to your brother..!

Tracker don't do stickers to tell people they are fitted, the engineer that services them comes in a plain car and no clue who he works for, the unit itself is fitted in any number of places and in a Supra can be so well hidden that half the car needs stripping to find it, or so i'm told ;)

I come into contact with these very frequently. They have draw backs, the range is limited on them, the area they can track the car down to can be anything from 10 metres to 50, they can 'boost' the signal but to make it more accurate its not that hard to blanket it. The internal battery supply is around 6 hours, after that it runs on the car battery, once the internal supply has been drained and the battery dis-connected they are dead weight, but it should have been found by then! As has been shown, ebay has provided people with some great kit on how to find and disable them, cheers for that.

some are much much better than others, the ones using radio frequency are truly a waste of space, the range is rubbish, i would look for a gprs based one or nothing at all. i would be interested in seeing how much a good one is to buy, install and the monthly payments, i like the idea of it being 'killed' and the car stopping when the thieves try and drive down the road in my Supra.

hope this helps

i like the idea of it being 'killed' and the car stopping when the thieves try and drive down the road in my Supra.

hope this helps

I have a friend in Colombia that has such device. He went to visit a friend that lived in a block of secured flats when a group of thieves approached him thinking that he lived in a house across the road to rob it. After he explained that he did not live there the thieves kidnapped him and used his car whilst they spent the whole day breaking into houses with him tied in the back of the 'Toyota Land Cruiser' this took all day they even stooped at Mc Donald and hand fed him whilst being tied up. The funniest part was when the passenger lit a cigarette and my friend shouted at him 'NO SMOKING IN MY CAR'..! too much of their amusement..! LOL

They dropped him off at the end of the day gave him money to get a bus home, he used it to make a couple of telephone calls one was to the tracker company he uses to ask to turn off his car which it did..! He later recovered the car..!

Tracker don't do stickers to tell people they are fitted, the engineer that services them comes in a plain car and no clue who he works for, the unit itself is fitted in any number of places and in a Supra can be so well hidden that half the car needs stripping to find it, or so i'm told ;)

ive got one on mine,we use a brilliant compamy through my work.ive only had one call telling we it was on the move with no keys and it just so happens i was in the car pulling in on the trailer! a fantastic product and as above they wont find mine i sure of that.mine gets checked once a year free of charge by the company

ive got one on mine,we use a brilliant compamy through my work.ive only had one call telling we it was on the move with no keys and it just so happens i was in the car pulling in on the trailer! a fantastic product and as above they wont find mine i sure of that.mine gets checked once a year free of charge by the company

As you say a great product and service.