The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Garage security and stopping thieves

jmcc42uk

Right lads,

I have my Supra locked up in a standard rented council garage and the other day I spotted one of the other garage doors in the row had been pulled up at the corner, obviously an attemped break in. So I want to ramp up security a bit.

Was thinking of putting two huge locks at each side of the door then I spotted this -

http://www.autolok.co.uk/Pages/garage.htm

Looks a bit of a pain to install though but probably quite strong

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Jon

Have a look in some motorcycle publications dude they are paranoid about security. Something like a scaffold pole across the door with another solid round bar inside is very effective as if the try and cut it even with a disc cutter the inner round bar just spins round.

The clue is the type of padlock and how you use it, on the beach at Eastbourne there are lots of Bass fishing boats, small fast boats with big expensive outboards on them, they cover these with a metal box and use very expensive locks that lock inside a metal tube, you can only see the end with the key part.

Think as dude said, a bar accross the door is going to be the most effective bolted into each side wall. Price will be determined by how good the bar is.

I would also check with the council that theydont have issue with you adding something like this to their garage.

Guest wantthatone

then on the other hand, when people see the extra security there more intrigued to see whats hidden.. can you not find a private garage to rent? must be a right PITA for you

Pay the membership fee and we'll tell you......:D

Seriously though, J_Supra_07's idea is probably your best bet. Quite discreet as it only requires two slots to be cut in the door, (drill hole top and bottom of proposed slot and use a jigsaw or Fein type tool to join the dots), then side mounted loops Rawlbolted or plugged into the concrete jambs.

This might be overkill.....

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=160350651960&index=5&nav=SEARCH&nid=43260413659

Mind you, it's not easy drilling pre-stressed concrete if you hit the steel wire inside and you'll need a decent 110-240v hammer drill. A proper 18/24/36v cordless one will do it but a cheap drill will take ages and run out of puff.

Then fit a high security padlock each side like this...

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=190518158834&index=21&nav=SEARCH&nid=92120116637&back=1

Or this...

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=200609781312&cmd=VIDESC&title=Description&index=2&nav=SEARCH&nid=31004875542

Edited by Morpheus
Don't you just love predictive text?!! (see edit history)

Thanks for the info chaps,

Wish I could get a private garage or lock-up somewhere but not sure where to look. The council garages are really tight and sooner or later I can see me damaging the car getting it in and out.

Think I'll go with to big locks each side of teh door.

Just a thought - If you take out the lead from the coil to the battery then at least his prevents it being started. Although don't want people getting access in the first place.

If anybody has a garage, lock-up, barn etc. I will gladly pay the going rate

Thanks

Jon

The clue is the type of padlock and how you use it, on the beach at Eastbourne there are lots of Bass fishing boats, small fast boats with big expensive outboards on them, they cover these with a metal box and use very expensive locks that lock inside a metal tube, you can only see the end with the key part.

Been looking to "buy" a boat Dude? :D

Who needs Mods eh? Hehe!

Welcome to the club!

This looks quite beefy but not sure about the fitting. Looks like it's flush mounted...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BULLDOG-EXTRA-SECURITY-DOOR-LOCK-HASP-STAPLE-TYPE-GR200-/150382273043?pt=UK_HaG_Lock_Safes_GL&hash=item23037b6213#ht_500wt_689

Also a bit lairy and might attract more attention than it deters, as already mentioned re. scaffold pole. I'd just get a couple of the cheap Motrax ones but unless they do a left and a right hand version, you'll obviously have to fit the right one upside down.

You'll still need a decent 1/2" masonry bit and percussion drill though. ;)

I'm assuming that it's a steel up and over door with concrete uprights, (jambs), as mine's like that. You obviously need enough meat left in the concrete or it will crack and/or break away if you drill too close to the edge.

The best solution would be custom made internally mounted steel plates that have welded and bent loops that poke through slotted re-enforcing plates, riveted or bolted to the door. You might even be able to fit flat plates with packing, (bits of wood or steel), to adjust the inset from the door edge, so you're close enough to prevent sawing.

Edited by Morpheus (see edit history)

If you lock a council garage up to the max . It looks like you got something good in there , and if they can't get in it from the door . they will only go in by the roof . no win sometimes chavs .

Where the hell do you live?

I thought I lived in a rough neighbourhood! :D

They don't come more determined than Rats though. The farmer told me where our workshop used to be, about them getting into his grain silo through the concrete base!

Edited by Morpheus (see edit history)

Where the hell do you live?

I thought I lived in a rough neighbourhood! :D

They don't come more determined than Rats though. The farmer told me where our workshop used to be, about them getting into his grain silo through the concrete base!

yum yum..........concrete :)

thats mental