The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Stock Supra performance stats (input required!)

Homer

After a few questions about stock performance and weight I've tried to put together some data on the OEM figures collected from sales prochures and promotional documents relesed by Toyota both in the UK and Japan.

There is a certain amount of conflicting information out there on t'net so thought it was about time to try and construct an FAQ based on verified stats (That means official independant tests and Toyota documentation).

I have no interest in adding data people have from basic accelerometers, only results from professional independant tests and Toyota are of interest.

That said, please review the data below, if you can complete anything missing, please add it here along with a link/attachement with to support the figure.

I would also welcome suggestions for other data to add to this.

This data is for Pre-facelift models only (at this stage), if anyone has data for facelifts I will add those.

attachment.php?attachmentid=134418&stc=1&d=1307830398

Supra OEM performance figures.jpg

I'm pretty sure the power figures are wrong for the Jspec, even the 300hp one (one off test?).

Do you know if the stock boost levels are the same Darryl? If they are then I would suggest that the power figures would be very similar as both sets of turbos are similarly efficient. At 1.2bar both engines make around 400hp. I know the cams on the UK spec make a little bit of a difference, hence the torque differences with the Jspec being a little higher, but I would be surprised if at the same boost levels a UK spec was making almost 30hp more. That would mean UK specs would be good for 470+HP @1.3bar.

I don't want to get into that discussion here, it's only about OEM. The 300bhp statement is removed, it came from 4 (completely) stock jspec 6spds tested at SRR. The boost on both the UK and jspec is 0.76 bar as stock.

In terms of this FAQ it stays at 280bhp unless someone has put a stock jspec engine on an engine dyno to refute the OEM claim.

I don't want to get into that discussion here, it's only about OEM. The 300bhp statement is removed, it came from 4 (completely) stock jspec 6spds tested at SRR. The boost on both the UK and jspec is 0.76 bar as stock.

In terms of this FAQ it stays at 280bhp unless someone has put a stock jspec engine on an engine dyno to refute the OEM claim.

Coolio, it was just a kind of follow on from the questioning of the weight.

I don't want to get into that discussion here, it's only about OEM. The 300bhp statement is removed, it came from 4 (completely) stock jspec 6spds tested at SRR.

Probably dropped a few horses in standard guise over 10+ years as well. So they may have been more out of the factory.

Thanks for that, however C&D had a US spec car which is different to the UK and jspec. I didn't want to cover the US models in this FAQ since no one here has one.

Is the US spec not exactly the same as the UK spec other than LHD? I thought the export models were all the same, engine/power/performance wise.

Is the US spec not exactly the same as the UK spec other than LHD? I thought the export models were all the same, engine/power/performance wise.

supra differences.jpg

Have been searching alot past days to find out what you mean with cam differences it seems i can't find any differences in cams or so, found this article,hereby the link that will give the few differences.preview photo added http://paul.webmaster-eye.de/english.html

Edited by Mario (see edit history)

I know the cams on the UK spec make a little bit of a difference is what you posted a little while ago and have been searching what you mean with that, found some other differences just to share nothing else scott.

Ahh the uk spec vs spec, yeah there are a few small differences yeah.

You confused me as you quoted my uk spec vs us spec post.

Ahh the uk spec vs spec, yeah there are a few small differences yeah.

You confused me as you quoted my uk spec vs us spec post.

Oh sorry for the confusing there, think i already got my answer there

Euro spec 2jz gte

Intake Duration 233°

Intake Camshaft lift 8.25mm

Intake valve diameter 33.5mm

Intake Valve timing - Opening 3° BTDC

Intake Valve timing - Closing 50° ABDC

Exhaust Duration 233°

Exhaust Camshaft lift 8.4mm

Exhaust valve diameter 29mm

Exhaust Valve timing - Opening 52° BBDC

Exhaust Valve timing - Closing 4° ATDC

J-spec2jz gte

Intake Duration 224°

Intake Camshaft lift 7.88mm

Intake valve diameter 33.5mm

Intake Valve timing - Opening 3° BTDC

Intake Valve timing - Closing 50° ABDC

Exhaust Duration 233°

Exhaust valve diameter 29mm

Exhaust Camshaft lift 8.4mm

Exhaust Valve timing - Opening 52° BBDC

Exhaust Valve timing - Closing 4° ATDC

If you remember my stock vvti made 326bhp at SRR.

Is the UK spec identical to a Euro spec, isn't it just a bonnet scoop?

Hereby the link what i found, and by the information found it isn't only the bonnet scoop there are a few small bits different.

http://paul.webmaster-eye.de/english.html

European-Specification

The EU-Spec has been developed basically with having the high average speeds on European roads in mind. EU-Specs do have a special hood-scoop made from glass-fibre plastic to cool down cylindres hoodscoop.jpg5 and 6 and a rear-differential cooler. Automatic EU-Specs do have an additional gearbox oil cooler in the right hand front bumper vent. The rear-light layout is different from Japanese and North-American models as a rear fog-light is compulsory in most European countries. On the left-hand side it's: Turn signal, brake-light, reverse light, rear fog-light. In Non-European models the last two are interchanged and instead of the rear fog-light a second brake-light is placed in the case. EU-Spec headlights are glass-covered instead of plastic and particularly German and UK-Specified vehicles do have a manual beam-level control (compulsory in these countries).

Another feature EU-Spec vehicles do have is an active front-spoileroem active fr.spoiler.jpg deploying at speeds over 90kph (54mph) improving front down force. It hides behind the front spoiler lip at speeds under 70kph (42mph) . This spoiler is part of the standard-equipment on all European vehicles except German vehicles (additonal equipment without extra charge together with the high rear spoiler oem spoiler.jpg as the "Aerodynamic Package") and Swiss vehicles, which aren't equipped with this "Aerodynamic Package" due to national legislation forbidding the high rear spoiler. Swiss MKIV are equipped with the wiring loom for the Spoiler-ECU . Outside Europe the active front-spoiler was only available in Japan (additional equipment).

Another speciality is the small rear spoiler oem spoiler low.jpg, that was only available in Germany through official Toyota Accessory (TTE). Conservative German customers disliked the look of the high rear-spoiler what lead Toyota Germany to ask automotive supplier B+M to develop a smaller version of the high spoiler.

Equipment details vary from country to country. EU-Spec models are usually equipped with the Targa roof. Hardtop models have been only available in Switzerland (on demand, either with 6-Speed manual transmission or 4-Speed Automatic Transmission) and the United Kingdom (standard equipement, Targa roof not available).

Furthermore UK-Spec models do have head-light washer jets headlight washer jets.jpg due to the bad weather.

Sales in Europe have been ceased in early 1996. In the end of 1996 the new emission regulation "Euro 2" had become compulsory. Toyota found adapting the Supra to these standards for not profitable enough due to the small sales figures in Europe. The last examplars have been delivered to their customers in early 1996.

Features

only available with Twin-Turbo engine

highest specification with standard seat heating and leather seats

additional automatic-gearbox oil cooler and differential-oil cooler standard

glass headlights

hood scoop for additional cooling of cylindres 5 and 6

aerodynamic package with active front spoiler and rear spoiler standard (Germany:on demand; Switzerland: Not available)

Targa roof standard (Switzerland: on demand; United Kingdom: Not availabe)

large brakes with 17"-wheels

Limited Slip Differential

Country-Specific differences Germany, Austria: black leather, aerodynamic package additional equipment without extra charge, Targa roof standard, headlight beam adjustment

Switzerland: black or ivory Leder, aerodynamic package not available, either with hardtop or Targa roof

United Kingdom: Right Hand Drive, only as hardtop, black or ivory Leder, headlight washer jets, headlight beam adjustment

Belgium: black or ivory leaher, no seat heating, Targa roof standard

Netherlands: black leather, Targa roof standard, no seat heating

France: black leather, Targa roof standard, no seat heating, only available with 6-Speed manual gearbox Italy: as in Germany, no headlight beam adjustment, aerodynamic package standard equipment

Japanese Specification

In Japan all versions were available, but in a high variety of combinations. Equipment grades were:

Turbo RZ (1993-1995): Traction Control, Limited Slip Differential (optional in combination with automatic transmission), small brakes with 16"-type rims, 6-Speed manual or 4-Speed automatic transmission, Targa roof optional (only in combination with automatic gearbox)

RZ-S (05.1995-1996): 1995 introduced, equipment identical with '93-'95 RZ-Model, Targa roof not available

RZ (1995-1996): 6-Speed manual gearbox, large brakes with 17"-type rims, Traction Control, Limited Slip Differential

GZ: 4-Speed Automatic transmission, Traction Control, Limited Slip Differential, small brakes with 16"-type rims, black leather, Targa Roof optional (until 08.94), Driver's airbag

Non-Turbo

SZ: ABS until 1995 optional, small brakes with 16"-type rims, 5-Speed manual or 4-Speed automatic transmission, Targa roof optional (only in combination with automatic gearbox)

SZ-R (08.1994+): ABS, Limited Slip Differential, 5-Speed manual transmission

This amount of different equipment combinations might be irritating. Furthermore almost all options (leather seats, airbags, targa roof, rearspoiler etc.) available could be ordered as extra equipment for all other versions. The targa roof is an option that could be only ordered together with the automatic gearbox. It wasn't available with turbocharged versions from 08.94 on. Big brakes were available from 05.95 on (standard on RZ, all others: option) The biggest differences between J-Spec vehicles and export vehicles can be found under the hood. The 2JZ-GTE turbo-engine specified for the Japanese Domestic Market does use smaller injectors (440ccm instead of 550ccm), a different intake camgear and turbochargers with ceramic exhaust turbines instead of metal turbines. This leads to a lower maximum power output J-Spec Supras reach. Official figures aren't available since Japanese manufacturers had a "Gentlemen Agreement" about advertising cars destined for their domestic market with a maximum of 280hp.

Nevertheless J-Spec Supras are measured with (~310-320hp DIN/~300-310hp SAE) on the dynometer. J-Spec Supras do have a limited-top speed at JDM-typical 180kph (112mph) while export models are limited to 250kph (155mph).

Features black leather and driver's airbag standard in GZ), optional in all other versions (dual airbags standard in facelift-version)

no additional coolers, ceramic turbochargers, other intake camgear, smaller injectors (440ccm)

plastic headlight covers

active front spoiler optional

Targa roof with turbo models only available until 1994 (only in combination with automatic gearbox)

large brakes standard on RZ , optional on all others (not available until 05.95)

Bilstein shock absorbers standard on RZ and SZ-R (until 1997)

electric folding mirrors (08.94+)

Facelift Version (1996-2002)

Facelift-Models were only available in the US, Canada and Japan. From April '96 on sales were ment to be boosted by modificating various details. Supra's headlights did get a black housing, the yellow indicators were replaced by clear ones faceliftfront.jpg and the facelift tail lights.jpg got a anthracite-coloured bezel, which is also different from the pre-facelift version. A horizontal bar was added to the radiator opening in the front spoiler, the side indicators on the fenders of the J-Spec were replaced by side marker lights like on the US-Spec. The orange front side-markers of the J-Spec are different from those in the US-Spec, while the red rear-lights are being the same. The US-Spec type side-markers do have a flat, oval shape and are in a bright orange shade, the J-Spec type side-markers taper off in the frontal area with a small edge and are in a darker orange shade.The dashboard colour was changed to a light grey colour and the cloth seats got a new pattern and an integrated head-rest. The lineup of available exterior colours did change in 1996, too. Japanese Specification

In terms of technic no changes were made. The 3-gauge cluster was replaced by one with two large and three small gauges (boost for turbo-models/voltmeter for N/A's, fuel, oil temperature) facelifttachojspec.jpgThe digital odometer was swapped for an analogue one. Exterior details were changed. As well the 17"-type as the 16"-type rims got new-style center-caps oem wheels.jpg. The equipment grade "GZ" was dropped. Natural aspirated SZ-R Supras got the turbo-version's 6-Speed Getrag manual transmission instead of the 5-speed gearbox, as well as recaros.jpg (also availabe with leather upholstery) as extra equipment. RZ's got them as standard equipment. Dual airbags became standard equipment in all equipment grades eventually.

Another revision happened in August 1997: The cloth seats got once again a new, upbeat pattern and the 4-spoke airbag steering wheel got replaced by asteering wheel.jpg one with carbon applications in RZ and SZ-R equipment grades. Both grades got REAS-shock absorbers as standard equipment as standard (Relative Active Absorber System), which minimizes vehicle roll in corners.

A very interesting modification is the introduction of the "ECT-iE" called Tiptronic-Gearbox in RZ-S Supras. The known 4-speed converter automatic gearbox was adapted with buttons on the steering wheel for manual shifting. Along with the model-change of the Toyota Aristo Vertex the turbo-engine got equipped with variable valve timing VVT-i (Variable Valve-Timing with Intelligence), as well as OBD2-diagnostics and drive-by wire throttle control (ETCS-i). The addition of VVT-i allows higher reving and results in a torque peak of 450Nm (441Nm without VVT-i) at 3600rpm instead of 4800rpm. The natural aspirated 2JZ-GE engine didn't change.

Exterior colours got overhauled once again. "Silver-Metallic Graphite" (1B9) and "Super Bright Yellow" (576) were added to the colour range, "Dark Green Mica-Metallic" (6P3) and "Silver Metallic" (199) were dropped. In August 1999 Toyota adapted the Supra's chassis to the new Japanese crash-standard "GOA". These vehicles can be identified by their modelcode "GF-JZA80" instead of "E-JZA80". The targa roof, which was lastly only available in SZ-Models in combination with 4-speed automatic gearbox got dropped completely in the same year.

The last change happened in 2001: "Super Red IV" (3L2) was replaced by "Super Red V" (3P0) as an exterior colour.

Supra's production ceased in July 2002, with special watches being hand over to the last few buyers.

Overview Japanese Equipment Grades (1996-2002)

Turbo (with VVT-i 08/1997+) RZ: traction control, limited slip differential, large brakes with 17"-type wheels, 6-speed manual gearbox, REAS, Recaro sportseats (with optional leather upholstery)

RZ-S: traction control, limited slip differential, small brakes with 16"type wheels, 6-speed manual gearbox or 4-speed Tiptronic (end of 1997+)

Non-Turbo

SZ: small brakes with 16"type wheels, 5-speed manual gearbox oder or 4-speed automatic gearbox, targa roof optional (only in combination with 4-speed automatic gearbox, until 1999)

SZ-R: 6-speed manual gearbox, limited slip differential, REAS, small brakes with 16"type wheels, Recaro sportseats optional

North-American Specification

In the US and Canada the facelifted version has been introduced with a delay of one year beginning with model-year '97. MY '97 Supras were marketed as a "25th Anniversary Edition". It was simply a marketing trick for boosting up sales and not an anniversary of any kind. Turbo-equipped versions (6-Speed reintroduced) were only sold in states without California emissions. They weren't available as hardtops anymore.

Exterior-wise only the Non-Turbo versions got the new center-cap design while Turbo-Models kept the old style but high-gloss polished wheels as standard. Unlike the Japanese version the three-gauge cluster and the digital odometer remained the same as before.

The US-Spec's last model-year ('98) features similiar modifications to those of the Japanese version after the revision in '97. The three-spoke steering wheel and the new design for the cloth-seats were introduced as well as new exterior colours: "Quicksilver FX" (1B9) and "Imperial Jade Mica" (6Q7, as an replacement for 6P3) were added, "Alpine Silver Metallic" (199) was dropped. The 2JZ-GTE turbocharged engine remained the same, while the 2JZ-GE natural aspirated engine got equipped with variable valve timing VVT-i like in the Lexus IS300. This modification resulted in a maximum power output of 225hp instead of 220hp (SAE). It was exactly the other way around as in Japan, where the 2JZ-GTE got equipped with VVT-i while the 2JZ-GE stayed conventional. Non-Turbos were only available together with 4-Speed automatic transmission in the last model-year.

Decreasing sales resulted in a sales cease in 1998 (Canada: 1997), which marked the end of the production of LHD export-vehicles.

Gulf Specification (Arabia)

Features

only as Non-Turbo

only as hardtop

ivory leather

no sidemarkers (as EU- and J-Spec) small brakes with 16"-type wheels