The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Standard 0-60 times...

Guest Goughy

Guest Goughy

Hi Guys,

I have had a search on here and my usual point of call parkers.co.uk but I cant seem to find a list of the 0-60 times of standard supras throughout the range! Anybody know them?

So 0-60 time for an N/A, TT etc when they rolled off the production line....

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From Toyota release documents:

0-62mph

NA 5spd: 6.8

NA auto: 7.4

TT jspec 6spd: 5.7

TT jspec auto: (can't find this)

TT UK 6spd: 5.1

TT UK auto: 5.8

All NA's and Jspecs were limited to 112mph and TT exports to 150mph (US NA's were limited to 93mph!), so you won't find any delimited speed figures from Toyota on those

Hi Guys,

I have had a search on here and my usual point of call parkers.co.uk but I cant seem to find a list of the 0-60 times of standard supras throughout the range! Anybody know them?

So 0-60 time for an N/A, TT etc when they rolled off the production line....

You searched here? Where did you search? If we deleted all the 0-60, top speed, previous car and youngest owner threads all we would be left with is tech, off topic and NWS.

Stock TT around 5 seconds (4.8 I believe is the official time)

Stock N/A around 6.5 seconds (I think 6.7 was the official time)

You are going to be hard pushed to get those times though, it takes a lot of skill, the right tyres, the right suspension, the right roads and the right conditions. It all has to come together for you really.

Actually, this is good thread idea, I'm not sure we have ever collected the official performance figures in one place. If anyone can fil in any blanks or verify the data in my post I'll create an FAQ for this.

Stock TT around 5 seconds (4.8 I believe is the official time)

Stock N/A around 6.5 seconds (I think 6.7 was the official time)

Where did you get that data from Scott? Is it just from posts here or actual docs (Reason I ask is above, not challenging you as such :) )

From Toyota release documents:

0-62mph

NA 5spd: 6.8

NA auto: 7.4

TT jspec 6spd: 5.7

TT jspec auto: (can't find this)

TT UK spec: 5.1

TT UK auto: 5.8

All NA's and Jspecs were limited to 112mph and TT exports to 150mph (US NA's were limited to 93mph!), so you won't find any delimited speed figures from Toyota on those

Toyota told a LOT of lies didn't they :D

Guest Goughy

I'm not looking to get a supra to meet these times, Im just looking at what they should be standard. My BMW will (on paper) get to 60 in 6.9sec so I am just trying to work out if an NA will be or feel quicker than that. If an NA is either 7 or 6.8 then I probably need to be looking for a TT.

Although saying that...an NA with BPU would give another second do you think?

Toyota told a LOT of lies didn't they :D

To be fair, I don't think they are far off at all. I've tried in my NA and TT and actually struggled to match those when both were stock. That's using a Race Tech accelerometer, so pretty accurate unlike the rubish devices some people use ;)

Depends whats considered BPU. like... a turbo? ;) not many modifications to an NA will give huge power gains. 250bhp seems to be the typical figure for healthy worked on NA's. Havent seen any figures from GE's with high lift cams with a re map though. Glad I was over, better than thinking your car was faster that's always a killer ;)

Actually, this is good thread idea, I'm not sure we have ever collected the official performance figures in one place. If anyone can fil in any blanks or verify the data in my post I'll create an FAQ for this.

Where did you get that data from Scott? Is it just from posts here or actual docs (Reason I ask is above, not challenging you as such :) )

Bit of both really. Guys pushing their cars on the 1/4 mile can get under 5secs (ok barely but it has been done). Power isn't the restriction, even in stock form.

Also, from magazine reviews on the Supra where they have timed it. I think in the US they got 5.1, in the UK they got 4.9 and on autotrader they had 4.8 and 5.1 (Manual/Auto).

I never trust what the manufacturer says. Especially so when it comes to any of the Jspec figures, as we all know.

I'm not looking to get a supra to meet these times, Im just looking at what they should be standard. My BMW will (on paper) get to 60 in 6.9sec so I am just trying to work out if an NA will be or feel quicker than that. If an NA is either 7 or 6.8 then I probably need to be looking for a TT.

Although saying that...an NA with BPU would give another second do you think?

You won't really get anything from BPU on an N/A. I think the car will breathe a little freer but it certainly won't get you 1 second on your time. You might get 0.1 or something like that. Some good rubber and lots of practice will get the best from the car.

If you really want to concentrate on 0-60 and 1/4 mile times then NOS is your only real performance option on the N/A without going onto turbo's or spending SERIOUS cash.

To be fair, I don't think they are far off at all. I've tried in my NA and TT and actually struggled to match those when both were stock. That's using a Race Tech accelerometer, so pretty accurate unlike the rubish devices some people use ;)

They lied loads though. The power output... 280hp. The 0-60, a second less than the UK? They couldn't exactly say that the 0-60 was the same as the UK spec with 40odd less HP could they ;)

Depends whats considered BPU. like... a turbo? ;) not many modifications to an NA will give huge power gains. 250bhp seems to be the typical figure for healthy worked on NA's. Havent seen any figures from GE's with high lift cams with a re map though. Glad I was over, better than thinking your car was faster that's always a killer ;)

Never seen an N/A with 250 in my puff. You will be lucky to crack 230 without nos or a turbo. Where are you getting that from?

Bit of both really. Guys pushing their cars on the 1/4 mile can get under 5secs (ok barely but it has been done). Power isn't the restriction, even in stock form.

Also, from magazine reviews on the Supra where they have timed it. I think in the US they got 5.1, in the UK they got 4.9 and on autotrader they had 4.8 and 5.1 (Manual/Auto).

I never trust what the manufacturer says. Especially so when it comes to any of the Jspec figures, as we all know.

The OP asked about stock supra's, I really don't think the figures are that far off.

Do you have a link to the articles you mentioned? I also recall the 4.9 being quoted in the past but I'm not sure of the source...

The OP asked about stock supra's, I really don't think the figures are that far off.

Do you have a link to the articles you mentioned? I also recall the 4.9 being quoted in the past but I'm not sure of the source...

Iirc 4.9 was what auto carquoted for the UK spec manual.

IMO getting a sub 7 second 0-60 will be nigh on impossible on the road. The Lexus GS300 was quoted as circa 8 seconds, a NA Supra won't be much better.

Edited by j_jza80 (see edit history)

Well, would you agree that the UK spec and the Jspec have the same power output? And also assume that they both have the same 0-60? We know that toyota lied about the power output to keep them under the 280hp gentlemans agreement that the 280hp skylines also have :innocent:

I was a little bit out with the Manual VS Auto but Parkers is one of the places I saw 4.9...

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/Summary.aspx?model=900

They lied loads though. The power output... 280hp. The 0-60, a second less than the UK? They couldn't exactly say that the 0-60 was the same as the UK spec with 40odd less HP could they ;)

Power output we know is a bit of a lie, but all Jap manufacters were up to that in the early 90's. The UK and jspec difference is 0.6s, I do doubt it a bit as the UK's were heavier and had less torque. I tried 0-60 dozens of times in my stock jspec 6spd (bar the cat back) in 2004 and couldn't get better than 5.5s

Iirc 4.9 was what auto carquoted for the UK spec manual.

IMO getting a sub 7 second 0-60 will be nigh on impossible on the road.

I think it was the other way around, the manual got the quicker 0-60 times due to the bogging down off the line on the autos.

Yeah, that's what I'm getting at with the times. On the road it's very difficult to get a manufacturers time. Need a strip with good conditions IMO.

Parkers, jeez, I wouldn't trust them to even spell Supra correctly! Look at their other data, they have the weights the wrong way round for a start (and incorrect on both counts)

No, I know that. It was one I came across quickly.

I'm sure I've seen stock supra's managing 5sec 60s and 13sec 1/4 mile times.

I know Jake managed a 4.9 in his BPU Supra. The argument could be made about the power being higher but it won't make any difference to the 60 time as grip is the restriction.

I think it was the other way around, the manual got the quicker 0-60 times due to the bogging down off the line on the autos.

Yeah, that's what I'm getting at with the times. On the road it's very difficult to get a manufacturers time. Need a strip with good conditions IMO.

I meant Autocar magazine :D

No, I know that. It was one I came across quickly.

I'm sure I've seen stock supra's managing 5sec 60s and 13sec 1/4 mile times.

I know Jake managed a 4.9 in his BPU Supra. The argument could be made about the power being higher but it won't make any difference to the 60 time as grip is the restriction.

True, but Jakes was a VVTi and wasn't entirely stock.

The time I got a 5.5s was without any wheelspin, but did have to ride the clutch slightly during launch. Torque does matter in 0-60 times as in a stock car you won't spin the tyre's after it's launched. BPU is a different matter of course!

True, but Jakes was a VVTi and wasn't entirely stock.

The time I got a 5.5s was without any wheelspin, but did have to ride the clutch slightly during launch. Torque does matter in 0-60 times as in a stock car you won't spin the tyre's after it's launched. BPU is a different matter of course!

Was that on the road or on a strip when you gave it a go?

Yeah that's what I mean, the more power/torque the more chance of finding it hard to keep traction. It doesn't really matter if you are stock, bpu or single.... you will get very similar 60 times in stock trim chassis/tyre/wheel wise.

Just look at what Brian managed on BPU when he could actually put the power down. Take away the BPU aspect of his car and put it to stock power/torque and he would still crush 5 sec 0-60 times as grip is the limiting factor... not power/torque.

Was that on the road or on a strip when you gave it a go?

Yeah that's what I mean, the more power/torque the more chance of finding it hard to keep traction. It doesn't really matter if you are stock, bpu or single.... you will get very similar 60 times in stock trim chassis/tyre/wheel wise.

Just look at what Brian managed on BPU when he could actually put the power down. Take away the BPU aspect of his car and put it to stock power/torque and he would still crush 5 sec 0-60 times as grip is the limiting factor... not power/torque.

On the road, traction was not an issue.

Brian's car has a 4k rpm torque convertor, BL box, and his ultra fast times were on a prepped track (which is all or nothing for grip) It was a VERY long way from stock. True that if on road tyre's it couldn't be launched at 5krpm, but then his car is so far from stock it's hardly a comparison. Brian was kind enough to let me drive it in full drag trim down the strip at Santa Pod and I can say that the car drove so far different from a TT auto it was unreal.

Stock cars should not have a real issue with traction on 0-60 runs in the real world, more power/torque really does help, to a limit of course. BPU manuals can start to struggle for traction in 2nd, singles can light up all the way through unless on grippy tyres.

On the road, traction was not an issue.

Brian's car has a 4k rpm torque convertor, BL box, and his ultra fast times were on a prepped track (which is all or nothing for grip) It was a VERY long way from stock. True that if on road tyre's it couldn't be launched at 5krpm, but then his car is so far from stock it's hardly a comparison. Brian was kind enough to let me drive it in full drag trim down the strip at Santa Pod and I can say that the car drove so far different from a TT auto it was unreal.

Stock cars should not have a real issue with traction on 0-60 runs in the real world, more power/torque really does help, to a limit of course. BPU manuals can start to struggle for traction in 2nd, singles can light up all the way through unless on grippy tyres.

I have to disagree there though. The difference between Brians car and every other BPU out there IS grip. Granted it's all down to the setup of how he gets that grip, but that's the difference. It's the same with the guy that managed an 11.5sec quarter in a 6spd BPU. I can't remember his name but he is a member on here. Had no mechanical sympathy and really went for it. His 0-60 must have been around the 2.5sec mark the same as Brian.

My point is that grip is what holds these cars back.

You managing 5.5 on the road is very impressive to be honest. Toyota certainly won't have gotten their figures from road driving, it will all be done on test tracks. The difference is night and day, as you will know, when it comes to where you can slip the clutch and how much you can slip it by when comparing a road vs a prepped track.

Edit: Just realised I missed out about Brians high stall. Obviously that would make a huge difference to how the car drives and to how well it launches, so obviously a stock TT Auto wouldn't be as fast... even with the suspension/chassis/tyres etc etc. The 6speed BPU I mentioned is probably more comparible to other 6speed BPU's than Brians would be to most BPU Autos.

Edited by Scott (see edit history)