The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra Wont Idle

Notts_TT

Hello Everyone, I have not been on here for a while.

I hav just dragged supra out of garage after last seasons shows ready to rebuild for

next year.

I have purchaced a trial rear,the first out of the mould from Knight Racer.

Anyhow, i had a flat battery and jumped the supra and it wouldnt idle???

It would rev nice and sounded as good as ever but just died when it was not revved?:(

Could this be a battery or alternator fault ??

Please help, oh and hello again [GRIN][/GRIN]

Dan

Guessing this could stop it from idling all together then ???

It doesnt even try to idle.

Thanks guys

Dan

Yup, if it's gammy, it can stick so will just cause the car to idle really high, really rough, not idle at all or idle really low.

Could also be because the ecu hasn't had juice on it for a while, will need a few mins to re learn.

Jump it again, and keep your foot on the throttle a bit to stop it dying, it should sort itself out within a minute or two if it is the ecu.

Could also be because the ecu hasn't had juice on it for a while, will need a few mins to re learn.

Jump it again, and keep your foot on the throttle a bit to stop it dying, it should sort itself out within a minute or two if it is the ecu.

:yeahthat:

If the battery has run flat the ECU will have been reset this will cause the engine to run a bit lumpy and not idle properly, a run out for a for minutes should sort things out.

I had a situation a couple of months ago where one of my battery clamps was not holding tight and would just creep off slightly whilst I was driving along going over bumps in the road, causing some of the dash lights to flicker and my alarm to suddenly go off! Happened a few times before I actually twigged where the problem lied (was looking far deeper for a problem which turned out to be right under my nose?!) and every time i re-started the car again it didn't want to start very well let alone idle. But once it would start i just carried on driving it back home, nice and steady, and by the time i was home it was fine again...... the ECU had re-taught itself again i guess? Replaced the battery clamps for new ones and i've never had an idling problem since :)

I cleaned my ICV a couple months back and when putting back on the car I forgot to reconnect the electrical connected back to the control valve. When I started it back up the revs would go high and low, it was all over the place. So I guess make sure it's all connected up and not come loose. Good luck