The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Does anybody regret going Single Turbo?

Brazil

There has been so many single turbo supra's being sold lately which got me thinking and curious to find out how many people regretted going single turbo? :taped:

The BPU supra is an amazing car and totally reliable for street use. I've personally never been on a single turbo supra so can't comment too much on it. Though it would be interesting to know your opinion especially from the recent ex single turbo Supra owners. :sly:

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I certainly wouldn't/will not regret it :)

Seeing how the sequential system works and how many problems appear over the years i honestly don't think that a small single is less reliable than a BPU Supra. ;)

I love the low down grunt of the sequential and the way it drives, but still find the dip annoying sometimes. Also if you're in the wrong rev range and step on the pedal nothing happens at first because the system has already switched and the two turbos need years to spool up ^^

Also if you're in the wrong rev range and step on the pedal nothing happens at first because the system has already switched and the two turbos need years to spool up ^^

:yeahthat: That really annoys me, I have had a couple of encounters where I have dropped it and nothing happens whilst the other car speeds away making you look like a broken N/A.

Nice question OP.

I was wondering if many people who have singles still use the car as a daily driver?

I use my Sup every day, so just wondering...

:)

I've been wondering this, suppose I could get to work on a scooter :cool:

Nice question OP.

I was wondering if many people who have singles still use the car as a daily driver?

I use my Sup every day, so just wondering...

:)

went single in may 2008, use the car everyday

I regret it in a way but only from the fact I went from an NA to buying a Single - which had gremlins and took a long while to remediate.

I think if I ever move on to another from this car I will be looking to buy a late stock facelift VVTi and then making it as bomb proof as I can then take it to big twins - I'm hoping Johnny G writes up all the pitfalls that I could then avoid :D

My advice? Don't buy a single unless you've got very very very well documented paperwork, history as well as investigating all threads on the forum regarding the car. If anything's also been done on the cheap, or anything you spot is lacking / not evident just walk away as it'll sometimes cause you stress worrying / ruining the experience of a single turbo.

You're going to struggle to find anyone that prefers bpu to single. The only example I can think of was Tooquicktostop, who bought a bpu car after having a single. He's now looking for another single :D

Single turbos move the Supras game on in every respect. A well built single can be faster, more reliable and more economical than a TT. The only downside is the conversion cost IMO.

Great question. I also have never been in a single Sup, but my opinion would be -

I agree that buying a built single would by far be the cheaper option but building it yourself means you get all the parts you want and atleast you will be aware of whats there. Cars like mitchell, JP and hodges cars are spectacular for that reason...if you bought a single would you really go through the hassle of stripping the engine for polishing or take the engine out to tidy up the bay!?:confused: I'd say that I wouldn't and for that reason would never be as happy with it.

Yes buying a single car already built is a good buy, but IMO building one with parts you have bought etc and taking your time to do it, is part of the Modifying scene. Don't get me wrong a BPU car is more than a handful but a good single setup is a different story. :D

Single all the way for me..... :D

Dont think i'll even sell mine TBH, it would have to be a worst case scenario or if someone offered me silly money for it, from there id buy another and go single all over again. :D

I had some regrets with mine, but it was my own fault and related to the DIY install of it. The biggest one was that I tried to be clever by buying cheaper (ebay) parts, this was a financial blunder as it ended up coisting more in the end since every last "cheap" part failed. I also made a mistake with the ECU choice, again trying to save money. Piggyback was never going to work well, so ended up having to swap that out for a proper standalone in the end.

Once the car was running it was superb, much more power, better on fuel, nicer and easier to drive even!

If I were doing it again, I would buy one ready done.

Interesting guys...!

Recently I’ve been attempting more mechanical and general modifying to my car and am really enjoying it. Though I miss the newish car feel and have been thinking of a GTR, but if I do I won’t be able to keep the Supra, that's why I started this thread.

I would like more power and am thinking of the 600bhp club..! It might be more sensible to buy a GTR and buy another car for me to tinker with in the garage.

Or single the Supra and buy a nice daily like a BMW 335D Autovogue.

I've not driven or been in none of these cars I've mentioned. I think it would be a good idea to get some test drives to help me make up my mind.

Similar to Homer, i regret my decision to try to do it all myself, especially when the quest for utter perfection takes over (install a part, remove it, paint it, reinstall it, remove it, chrome it, reinstall it, remove it, strip the chrome and leave it as it is!). I tried to buy parts individually from US and UK suppliers to mimic a BL kit and a BL fuel kit. To be honest i wish i had just bought a BL kit. Im considering buying another Supra next year and doing just that :D

Or as stated above, buy one thats been done and improve if necessary (i.e if done in Japan, correct the crazy/wild mods they often think of! :p )

I regret it in a way but only from the fact I went from an NA to buying a Single - which had gremlins and took a long while to remediate.

I think if I ever move on to another from this car I will be looking to buy a late stock facelift VVTi and then making it as bomb proof as I can then take it to big twins - I'm hoping Johnny G writes up all the pitfalls that I could then avoid :D

My advice? Don't buy a single unless you've got very very very well documented paperwork, history as well as investigating all threads on the forum regarding the car. If anything's also been done on the cheap, or anything you spot is lacking / not evident just walk away as it'll sometimes cause you stress worrying / ruining the experience of a single turbo.

Heh!

Well, all I can say is research, research, research. Speak to the people who know what they're doing - and have them do the work. Don't push people to timescales, it's done when it's done.

Cams and throttle body are the tough ones. Cams for mine, sourced from US. Throttle body setup is totally unique to the Supra - as it's from a Corvette.

The rest is the same though. You will need a top ECU to run the VVTi and the DBW, though, so unless you're getting a Syvecs or a MoTeC, don't do it.