The mkiv Supra Owners Club

R33 GTR or Supra?

Guest AI99

Guest AI99

I know this is a supra forum but whats your opinion on both cars, few pro's and con's Ideally I will look to buy one thats quite modified probably something over 500 whp.

i'd have to agree with tomgeer. the Supra looks stunning in the flesh and the R33 looks bland inside and out compared to the supe!! yes the skylines come with a raft of gizmos like all wheel drive ect, that keep it on the road but do YOU really want that or do YOU want sheer drivability from a RWD supe?? personally supra would win this for me everytime. with regards to performance and power they both 'max' out at roughly the same BHP (i've seen 1000+ BHP supes and skylines). theres a white skyline at 700 hp down the road from me and theres a few on here over 700hp. at the end of the day its down to you personally! drive both and see what you made of them!! :D

This is only IMO!

Guest AI99

Also when you get to figures like 600-700hp+ what is the traction like of the supra? I wouldn't want a car that just spins the tyres everytime you put the foot down when travelling in second or third gear, thats one of the things that had me initially leaning to a skyline, but the supra just looks really nice inside and out. traction is the concern at the moment and how much of an issue is it?

Also when you get to figures like 600-700hp+ what is the traction like of the supra? I wouldn't want a car that just spins the tyres everytime you put the foot down when travelling in second or third gear, thats one of the things that had me initially leaning to a skyline, but the supra just looks really nice inside and out. traction is the concern at the moment and how much of an issue is it?

it will be an issue but good semi slicks help alot, im putting down 760 rwhp fairly well on r888s enough to do 0 - 100 mph in 7 seconds i think with practice i will be in the 6 sec bracket. heres a vid not launching admitadly and on 1.65 bar so around 680 rwhp and i get to 85 mph in that video easily enough all within 1/8 mile road total, you can hear tyres screaching abit but it is pulling hard pinning me in the seat anyways

but it is a serious handful compared a gtr no denying that, if you want something easiest to drive get the skyline it will put the power down much better but if you want something a bit more lairy and alot more reliable then get a supra imo.

Putting down a genuine 500 whp in an R33 GTR is going to be much more expensive than a Supra, cost more to maintain and be less reliable.

:)

:yeahthat:

I actually looked at an R33 GTS & also GTR before getting the Supra.

Although they are brilliant machines no doubt about it, but as mentioned above when modifiying the Supra generally is more reliable.

The biggest thing for me though was when sitting in the R33 it didn't feel special, where as the Supra did :cool:

Really you need to be asking this question on a neutral car forum such as Pistonheads chat really.

Asking if you should buy a R33 GTR over a Supra (or vice versa) on a Supra forum isn’t really going to give you the best responses for making a decision :D

Oh and i will say get a Supra its far better looking an IMO drives better..... Supra FTW !!

This was my old baby......

By far, THE best drive I've ever had, it, IMO, will always win hands down over a RWD. The GTR is predominantly RWD anyway, but when the back wheels spin it put power to the front, so going round a roundabout quick (as example) and giving it beans up a ringroad, is extremely safe and can make you look good (if that's your thing) where as in a RWD, well, we all know the risks...... I've only got an N/A supra now but saving for an engine transplant so cannot give any 0-60/0-100 comparison, but the Supra is so small compared to the GTR, you can fit 2 grown men, 6ft+ easy in the back of a GTR with ample leg room.

However a MASSIVE downside of owning a GTR is paying GTR prices.....

I miss my old girl..... she'll always be the number 1 in my heart unless I ever got another