The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help! Engine rattling sound!!

Thomas.B

I have a little rattling sound coming from the front of the engine, left side by the camshaft.

The noise dissapears when giving it some gas, and also I drove it some and then I didn't hear anything for a couple of minutes when I got back.

Cambelt looks new.

Dont know the english word for it but on wich camshaft does the electronic unit sit on?

Could it be this?

Any help??

Only known fault is the 02 sensor.

thanks

mines done the exact same thing. only started when I replaced the timing belt, then when I took it down to AFR they pulled it apart said it was just a loose bolt on one of the pulleys!

just as you push down on the throttle its a loose bolt spinning into its correct position then the noise goes till you try it again

Exactly, you need to check the pulley bolts are done up, from memory its 45 ft lbs, you will need to lock the cam as you tighten it, and not by holding the other pulley!! Could also be a big valve gap or sticky lifter or little end !!!!! Sound bites are no good, check the bolts and if its still there get a mechanic to have a listen.

The noise is also there during idle but seems to only do that when its cold.

I dont have any papers saying the cambelt is replaced recently but it looks almost brand new.

I had a friend with me who is a mechanic and he couldnt find the source to it either.

I have tried to hear something via a screwdriver but no sounds at all. If it where the valves I should be able to hear it if I take off the oil cap, but nothing... ?

The pulley bolts, are they the bolts holding the "cam weels" It does sound like its coming from the upper left corner or somewhere near that.

Yes we thought so aswell but the tensioner is at the bottom and the sound is coming from the top left side.

Am hoping I can find the fault before taking apart everything so I atleast know what to change/fix.

Here are a couple more videos taken yesterday, hoping it would help :)

http://imageshack.us/clip/my-videos/69/a29.mp4/

http://imageshack.us/clip/my-videos/715/8je.mp4/

I say the tensioner because I had exactly the same thing on a Soarer, had the cam covers off and everything only to find it was the tensioner. Put a big squirt of WD40 between the washer and the bearing and see if it goes away. Its worth a go.

Yes we thought so aswell but the tensioner is at the bottom and the sound is coming from the top left side.

Am hoping I can find the fault before taking apart everything so I atleast know what to change/fix.

Here are a couple more videos taken yesterday, hoping it would help :)

http://imageshack.us/clip/my-videos/69/a29.mp4/

http://imageshack.us/clip/my-videos/715/8je.mp4/

Sound travels, the tensioner is a good shout. Another thing to try and you need to trust me on this is the aux belt, we fitted a brand new belt and a while later the car was making a horrible mettalic sound, we changed bearing, tensioner etc, in the end it was the belt !!!!!! Paul had the same thing on a TVR changed everything and it was the belt.

You dont have a picture where u can show where u mean?

Will gladly try :-) atleast i would know what to change.

Thomas don't take this the wrong way but if you don't understand what we are talking about you need to get someone who knows the engine to check it. IF it is something serious everytime you run it you may be doing more damage.

Im not driving. And i am a mechanic even though i never worked as one. I had a friend over who is a mec. also. They have different names here thats why i ask. But im guessing u mean the belt that also goes over the generator. I asked as to where i should pur the wd4. :-)

thanks guys!

Hmm, dont think so but on my E46 i had some years ago I had something like this, also the fan but dont think thats it.

If it where the tensioners, would it only give a sound sometimes on idle and just when touching the throttle?