The mkiv Supra Owners Club

supra twin turbo automatic ???

bl4stin

ok guys im back to ask some more stuff now , the performance of a supra twin turbo automatic , how is it , people say the auto is is not your typical auto gear box , could some one ellaborate how its better and differant to your average auto gearbox , ive even heard you can change the gear down if you want full RPM to compete ahgainst someone , could you guys tell me everything you know about the supras auto gearbox , and what it can do , thanks !!!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok guys im back to ask some more stuff now , the performance of a supra twin turbo automatic , how is it , people say the auto is is not your typical auto gear box , could some one ellaborate how its better and differant to your average auto gearbox , ive even heard you can change the gear down if you want full RPM to compete ahgainst someone , could you guys tell me everything you know about the supras auto gearbox , and what it can do , thanks !!!

How is it - Its easy to drive and shifts quickly probably faster than a person could do it with a manual.

Difference between a normal Auto and the Supra Auto - This autobox will kick down quickly and rev to redline when you push the loud pedal. It changes very fast and there is no lurching betweens gear changes due to the engine reducing the torque for a brief moment when it changes gear. The autobox will also be good for up to 550bhp as long as you have fluid coolers. As you know the box also has a manual mode where you can control gears 1 - 3 which is fun if you miss the manual experiance, i dont think the box changes any quicker in manual mode but its there if you want to use it, i find i keep mine in Fully auto until there are some twisty country roads where the manual mode is great fun.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?86128-The-Autobox-Modes-of-Operation

Edited by ManwithSupra (see edit history)

How is it - Its easy to drive and shifts quickly probably faster than a person could do it with a manual.

Difference between a normal Auto and the Supra Auto - This autobox will kick down quickly and rev to redline when you push the loud pedal. It changes very fast and there is no lurching betweens gear changes due to the engine reducing the torque for a brief moment when it changes gear. The autobox will also be good for up to 550bhp as long as you have fluid coolers. As you know the box also has a manual mode where you can control gears 1 - 3 which is fun if you miss the manual experiance, i dont think the box changes any quicker in manual mode but its there if you want to use it, i find i keep mine in Fully auto until there are some twisty country roads where the manual mode is great fun.

wow , so like say when im at the lights and an evo , or mr2 turbo or a scooby is at the lights , lol and he wants ago i could put it in manual mode and i can shift when i want it to all the up to 4th , so when ive ive hit the red line in 3rd it will take over as auto again , if thats true , thats amazing and those people who have the supra auto should be proud of this as this is high tec , did the all the supras non facelift and face lift have this autogearbox and if they do are they the same all through the years ?? , ?? also does the gearbox have a sport mode so you can in 4th take it higher than normal RPM , and is there a snow mode as , i have a mr2 , manual , it is a very fine car in the snow as the engine keeps the weight over the back wheels , how does the supra behave in the snow ,dont get me wrong im not after amazing grip or anythin like that just if ure an excellent driver like me is there a chance u can tame her in the snow.??

Edited by bl4stin (see edit history)

wow , so like say when im at the lights and an evo , or mr2 turbo or a scooby is at the lights , lol and he wants ago i could put it in manual mode and i can shift when i want it to all the up to 4th , so when ive ive hit the red line in 3rd it will take over as auto again , if thats true , thats amazing and those people who have the supra auto should be proud of this as this is high tec , did the all the supras non facelift and face lift have this autogearbox and if they do are they the same all through the years ?? , ?? also does the gearbox have a sport mode so you can in 4th take it higher than normal RPM , and is there a snow mode as , i have a mr2 , manual , it is a very fine car in the snow as the engine keeps the weight over the back wheels , how does the supra behave in the snow ,dont get me wrong im not after amazing grip or anythin like that just if ure an excellent driver like me is there a chance u can tame her in the snow.??

Please lose the txt spk.

in the unskilled hands the supra can be a handful, in yours it will be like putty.

LOL

Im looking at both manuals and autos before i make my mind up.

Although if your an excellent drive thats a pro street racer as well, then auto should be just fine.

I was just thinking that as well....

It was only a matter of time before the "street racer" wannabes got hold of it.

Thats why I sold my MR2 turbo, get fed up of seeing them being "raced" by chav rubbish round the local town center.

Dont forget tho, they are all excellent drivers.....

I was just thinking that as well....

It was only a matter of time before the "street racer" wannabes got hold of it.

Thats why I sold my MR2 turbo, get fed up of seeing them being "raced" by chav rubbish round the local town center.

Dont forget tho, they are all excellent drivers.....

100% the same sentiment here - which is why we're clamping down on the txt-spk and swearing.

Hi all I had a manual supra and i have just brought an auto. The auto box is really good. When you put your foot down hard the car really comes alive amazing, Bad point is if you look out the mirror you can see your money coming out of the exhaust

Hi all I had a manual supra and i have just brought an auto. The auto box is really good. When you put your foot down hard the car really comes alive amazing, Bad point is if you look out the mirror you can see your money coming out of the exhaust

It's like that with the 6spd TT's as well :)

Please lose the txt spk.

And the drivel

ok guys sorry ive been abit late with me replies yesterday i fell asleep when i got home from work!!! around 15:30 got home and i fell asleep 16:30 pm till about 06:00 AM so i missed the replies ive just come home washed me gixxer and so im back so no need to worry , and theres been alot of rubbish been posted so i wanna just corect those.

Firstly about the MR2 being driven about by chav rubbish , firstly can i say i didnt think chavs could afford the insurance on a mr2 ?? i have been paying about 1,500 a year on insurance and i dont drink and smoke and i can just afford it , secondly you can only have 2 people inc yourself in the mr2 so dont chavs like to carry there mates with them like in the 200 sx and 240 sx and absolute crap like that ??

i see the sarcasm in there when you put " he's an excellent driver " well i can see where your coming from , you must think im a bit cocky , but im not , im just truthfull i am an excellent driver , im 24 and this is my 3rd MR2 the first 2 being N/A ,s ive been driving 2 years but have lots of forza motorsport experiance prior to that so i was pretty clued up on how the cars behave etc and thats why i got an mr2 as me first car , cos lets face it not many get an mr2 as there first car if they dont know about cars , everyone on here must be excellent drivers as the cars you have and i have are real drivers cars , there not just any A to B rubbish there both premium cars the mr2 and the supra !!! so i think the chav thing was abit ...... i mean you may have seen chavs drivin them but they must be a small minority as there not cheap to insure , however the mr2 espeacially is falling steep in price now , affordable range for the chavs i must say i see them for sometimes half a grand , i mean they are sheds like but a definitve project for someone , the supra is still safe and the group 19 insurance is a good guard against the chav.

anyway back to the auto gearbox now i would like to know what modes its got , so i know its D mode it has manual , mode what else doesa it have ?? in manual mode do just push a button and it turns manual ?? and how does it clutch does it is that still auto or do have to press something to engauge the clutch ??? does anyone have a pic what the autogear box looks like inside the car thanks !!! sorry just a quick edit , does the auto gear box have 6 speed ???

been driving 2 years but have lots of forza motorsport experiance prior to that so i was pretty clued up on how the cars behave etc

:blink: I went from a 220bhp Sapphire Cosworth > Supra TT BPU circa 400 BHP......................

BUt dont worry I had plenty of experiance on Mario Kart :D

Check out my front splitter :jester: