The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Removing the Power Steering

spider2123

im using the 1uzfe engine and i have decided to remove the PAS, may sound stupid but can keep the existing rack or do i have to change it?

I drove my car 12 miles when the PAS packed up, never ever again, its waaaaay too heavy - when its stationary, forget even turning the wheel.

its only heavy dude to the fluid in the system, once removed it quite easy- just wondered if there is a different(quick) rack i could fit?

I think there was talk of a quick rack a while back. I just remember seeing the thread so can't say whether it was a "do they exist thread" or a "available for sale thread". Even with the fluid out they are pretty heavy bud, due to the short rack. Once on the move it shouldn't be much of an issue but at standstill it would be a pain.

its only heavy dude to the fluid in the system, once removed it quite easy- just wondered if there is a different(quick) rack i could fit?

A faster mechanical ratio rack will be even heavier, I can't believe you think it safe to have no PAS on something that heavy. Nor can I believe removing the fluid will make it any lighter, it just gets returned to the reservoir when the pump is not running and the steering turned. If you do ahead with this somewhat wild plan you MUST weld up the quill shaft in the rack stem, or it will have free play and the quill shaft may eventually break.

On my project daily drive car I have used a small electric pump from a Saxo, I did it as it was going to be a drama to fit a mechanical pump to the engine used. It is a comparatively small unit and only draws lots of current and therefore loading the alternator when parking or on full lock when stationary, in normal use it draws about an amp or so, so not a lot of load on the engine. I understand the astra mk3s also have an electric pump that lends itself to this sort of application and a few Peugots too. Might be an option to look at.