The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Those of you with painted dash-boards

AJI

Hello,

Just wanted to ask what sort of preparation and what sort of paint have you used when painting your cockpit dashboards?

I'm thinking of doing mine in a dark gold type of colour and I'm thinking of doing a DIY type of effort but I want it to look "proper 'Bo" !

Cheers.

So I take it the rubber coating is not a suitable base for spray paint to go onto then?

Looks like there is more work to it than I originally thought.

:conf:

I saw some painted dashboards at JAE and this is what gave me the idea because some of them looked really good.

well lets put it this way acetone melts the rubber so i am guessing unless you use water based paint and not solvent based then the paint will melt the rubber as well. Failing that I think you would have problems later on with the paint peeling off. So in a word yes it is a bigger job than you first thought but deffers worth it in the end.

Arter taking advice from both Dude and Dangerous Brian on this subject i decided to give it ago and its a bitch, i used acetone on mine which works well but its a long old job a real lobour of love i have just sanded and primed my ceter panel for the forth time because i was not happy with it as iam doing mine in gloss black and shows all faults

my advice get some one else to do it someone pro like dude i just dont think you will ever get a truly perfect finish with aerosol cans. i have been at it for 3 weeks and only half done:(

Originally posted by supradibbs

??????????

When I spoke to ya on the phone I said it wasn't an easy job lol ;) Somebody on one of the other threads on this very topic offered to do the dash strip and paint for a hundred and fifty quid, would have to search it out to find out who it was said it, But for £150 I would let the guy do it, wouldn't do it a second time for that sort of money lol.:p