The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cheap rebuilt engine!

jackso11

Anyone tried this place?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-SUPRA-TWIN-TURBO-2JZGTE-93-98-ENGINE-/330571310633?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4cf795e629

Seems too good to be true, recond engine for £1295 and they give £295 for your old engine? Thats £1000 for a new engine.....its £900 just to get the HG changed on your own engine!

I would happily buy an ebay engine.

You just have to think that it's pretty unlikely that they would have re-conditioned it, and just treat it as a high mileage one.

No matter what the source, any engine I was going to put into a Supra and push 400/500/600 HP through I would open up and have a give a good inspection. Even a brand new block from Toyota needs to be checked over, so I don't see this as any different.

As a result all the engines are opened and examined, worn parts are replaced with brand new parts and the engines are re-assembled, thoroughly checked and tested, de-greased, washed and boxed.

Wow, quite a lot of work done at that price!

This engine has been subject to the following:

New head gasket fitted

New big end bearings

New main bearings

Cylinder heads are removed and pressure tested

Cylinder heads are skimmed and valves are re-seated

New valve seals fitted

Compression tested

Camshaft inspected

Crankshaft inspected

Crankshaft bearings inspected and replaced (if necessary)

Oil pump inspected

Oil Pressure is tested

Oil leaks tested

Piston rings inspected and replaced (if necessary)

Piston liners are inspected

Heat tabs and security holograms fitted

That work alone costs more than the engine!

I don't have any experience with this company but I'd phone them, by speaking to them you would then have an idea if they are worth a shot. Also is that picture of the engine even correct?

Here's my best guess. They buy astronomical mileage engines for a pittance change a few bits on them, then they sell it to you for a profit. Then you effectively sell them your engine for 250 quid which they work on and sell for a profit. You have no history of the engine so it could only last a year or two as their warranty only covers 6 months or it could last ages it's the risk you take. Its no more risk than buying a second hand car tbh.

Edited by Tyson (see edit history)

BazzaAlpine bought an ebay one, though not from this seller I think.

I'm sure I've read somewhere that the engines aren't worked on in this country though, that's why they're so cheap, as the labour costs are fractional compared to having it done over here.

I may be wrong though, please don't shout at me!!

Here's my best guess. They buy astronomical mileage engines for a pittance change a few bits on them, then they sell it to you for a profit. Then you effectively sell them your engine for 250 quid which they work on and sell for a profit. You have no history of the engine so it could only last a year or two as their warranty only covers 6 months or it could last ages it's the risk you take. Its no more risk than buying a second hand car tbh.

Agreed. Although you're obviously selling them an engine for £250, chances are the one you're taking out isn't going to be in pristine condition! Does it say you have to give them the same kind of engine as they've sold you? You could probably pick up an old a-series for a hundred quid... ;)

Agreed. Although you're obviously selling them an engine for £250, chances are the one you're taking out isn't going to be in pristine condition! Does it say you have to give them the same kind of engine as they've sold you? You could probably pick up an old a-series for a hundred quid... ;)

If your engine was scrap or too expensive to repair they would most likely just strip your engine for parts for the other engines they are refurbing. Unfortunately they will probably want a 2jz back :p

It is. It'd cost you a lot more in new parts and labour to recondition an engine. I wouldn't hand over any money before seeing the engine.

This just reminds of that company down London that was doing engine repairs or more to the case not. They were extorting their customers and threatening physical violence if they didn't pay up.

Found the link, I got my car from down the road :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-13460544

Edited by Tyson (see edit history)

Anyone tried this place?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-SUPRA-TWIN-TURBO-2JZGTE-93-98-ENGINE-/330571310633?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4cf795e629

Seems too good to be true, recond engine for £1295 and they give £295 for your old engine? Thats £1000 for a new engine.....its £900 just to get the HG changed on your own engine!

do you know much about engines and what to look for, they are in Dagenham so could go and have a look together in person.

imi

It says new bearings , then later it says new bearings if needed, LOL you get what you pay for so someone buy one and let us know how you get on, mate of mine bought a celica engine from a company like this, rattle canned silver and he 4 before he had one that was allmost decent, thats 4 X engine changes and it was still a bit smokey.

It says new bearings , then later it says new bearings if needed, LOL you get what you pay for so someone buy one and let us know how you get on, mate of mine bought a celica engine from a company like this, rattle canned silver and he 4 before he had one that was allmost decent, thats 4 X engine changes and it was still a bit smokey.

The bit that caught my eye as well was the following

Final Testing

In our final testing phase the units are started and run on a bench test before being put through a compression test and engine diagnostics. All the readings are stored in the database.

If a unit is found to be defective then we will arrange collection and replacement of the defective unit at no cost to you.

If all faulty items had been replaced and then thoroughly tested then why would it be found defective?

do you know much about engines and what to look for, they are in Dagenham so could go and have a look together in person.

imi

I'd be happy to come join you guys, although not a huge knowledge on engines I have a good nose to spot dodgy people (seeing as I grew up in East London), between us 3 we could umm & arrrh together & make a decision. Also if they become violent like the link posted above then I can provide some assistant or get you out the quickest :D

BazzaAlpine bought an ebay one, though not from this seller I think.

I'm sure I've read somewhere that the engines aren't worked on in this country though, that's why they're so cheap, as the labour costs are fractional compared to having it done over here.

I may be wrong though, please don't shout at me!!

It was this guy. Kept coming up with excuse after excuse as to why it hadn't turned up and in the end told me that the courier company had dropped something on it and cracked the sump. Gave me a full refund fast enough but by that point the car had been off the road a couple of months. I did ask about the pic as well and he confirmed it was definately a TT engine.

anyone that even looks at the add and contemplates it shouldnt be driving a tuned car im afraid, its pretty much as simple as that ! lol

So who would you buy a second hand engine off of instead then? No matter what engine you buy you're going to be taking a risk. There's plenty of second hand engines that are bought and sold on this board that have no more background than these.

In fact the good thing about buying from somewhere like this, is that if your engine turns out to be duff, chances are they'll take it back and give you a replacement. You try doing that from your average person selling an engine of out a car he's just written off and is breaking himself.

anyone that even looks at the add and contemplates it shouldnt be driving a tuned car im afraid, its pretty much as simple as that ! lol

Really? The advert seems well written, nothing to get any alarm bells ringing.

Unless you are seeing something I am not ;)

As mentioned, its no different from buying anything else 2nd hand - obviously the engine is sold as seen, and you'll just have to take their word for whatever work has been carried out. The only problems you might have is getting your money back if theres a problem once the motor is fitted; they have stated that the engine has been fully bench tested which covers their backs in the even that there is a problem, but then again they have stated that they're prepared to refund your cash if it turns out to be duff

A tough one really. Make sure you read the fine print in the terms of the sale; they might stipulate that the new motor needs to be fitted by a specialst garage, or even a garage they recommend. Fitting it yourself may invalidate any form of warranty they might offer. Either way A grand doesn't sound enough for a professionally reconditioned 2jz to me.

Are there actually any problems with the motor you're running, does it need replaceing or did you see this advert as a good opportunity to refesh? It may be a case of if it aint broke...

So who would you buy a second hand engine off of instead then? No matter what engine you buy you're going to be taking a risk. There's plenty of second hand engines that are bought and sold on this board that have no more background than these.

In fact the good thing about buying from somewhere like this, is that if your engine turns out to be duff, chances are they'll take it back and give you a replacement. You try doing that from your average person selling an engine of out a car he's just written off and is breaking himself.

Good point Tony. Out of interest, what's the going rate for used engines (other than the offer from this ebay seller)?

I'd be happy to come join you guys, although not a huge knowledge on engines I have a good nose to spot dodgy people (seeing as I grew up in East London), between us 3 we could umm & arrrh together & make a decision. Also if they become violent like the link posted above then I can provide some assistant or get you out the quickest :D

I have emailed them to see if we can all go down and take a look :D will keep you posted.

My car overheated again yesterday. I had loads of issues with it over heating last year but it passes a sniff test and a block test and is not losing coolant. I have changed rad cap, water pump, termostat, coolant (about 3 times last year while trying to sort this). The only thing I haven't tried is to replace the viscous coupling, which I have a new one sitting in the garage about to go on. No idea what else it could be as nothing seems to point to the HG.

I have had no problems through winter although I haven't driven it much, but the first drive going on turbos in the heat and it over heats. I am hoping its the viscous coupling :(