The mkiv Supra Owners Club

N/A - TT engine swap or sell my supra and get a TT?

damadom

Hi all

wanting to get a car with more power. So im considering either selling my 93 N/A and getting a TT or single but the car has 110K on the clock so im not sure it would be worth anything, i do have some money set aside for a new car or engine swap how ever i like my car as its mine and ive got it looking how i want it and dont really want to sell it, just wanting to know if anyone has had it done and how much a TT conversion costs. cheers guys

A great deal of people have done the conversion. First question to ask is if your current car is an auto or manual. If you're going TT do you want it to be auto or manual?

If you have an NA 5spd, you could get a TT lump fitted and running for about £3k.

If it's an auto NA and you want TT manual, sell it

If it's an NA and you want single turbo, sell it

Does it have ABS?

It's only worth while if you already have a 6spd box built in. Providing everything other than your N/A block is up to standard and the chassis is still running strong (which it damn well should be at only 110k), then there is absolutely nothing to worry about.

There are also other littles bit as Homer said, such as ABS aswell as better brakes to consider and uprated suspension.

well its got abs the bigger brakes and stiffer suspension, plus its a N/A manual 5spd. Just want more power but i supose the N/A isnt a slow car and i am only 21 so my insurance would go up alot more.

might just keep it as is 3k is alot of money and i dont think i could justify that when the car is probs only worth 2.5k.

From the research i have done the 5 speed box should be fine if your staying with stock TT power. if you want to go single in the future then you would need a 6speed if you wanted it manual.

i know where your coming from with the whole ' i have it how i want it' thing i have a N/A auto aerotop which i am converting at the mo to a 5sp TT.

its more of a case of sorting out the pros and cons. there are a few people on here that do the conversions fitted and from what i have read, there are some very happy customers out there! or if your confident with a spanner, have a go at doing it yourself and save labour costs...... as long as you are patient its all good!

so all in all, if you like your car just how it is, do a TT swap, otherwise you will be spending more on a TT and also getting it how you like it.

Start that Pro's / Con's list!! you will find the answer!

Hope this helps.

Enjoy it as it is for now, start saving and sell and buy a proper TT factory built car. Definitely the cheapest and most pain free way to get a TT. IMHO.

Agreed - especially at 21 and if you consider £3k is a lot to completely swap and engine etc.

Save up mate and enjoy your car.