The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Polishing headlights - forget TCut!

Homer

I've always used sandpaper (3000 grit) and tcut (toothpaste and shed loads of other remedies posted here) to polish up the plastic headlights but today had my first go with G3. The difference between the previous clean with Tcut glass cleaner and G3 compound is night and day. This is only doing it by hand, not a mop and it only took about 5 mins :)

In summary - if you want to polish your plastic headlamps, just go and buy G3 in the first place :D

After cleaning with tcut glass polish last week:

attachment.php?attachmentid=134115&stc=1&d=1307222526

Half and half shot (detailer style ;) )

attachment.php?attachmentid=134116&stc=1&d=1307222526

One headlight compared to the other:

attachment.php?attachmentid=134117&stc=1&d=1307222526

Image0442.jpg

Image0445.jpg

Image0446.jpg

That is very impressive. I was going to have a go at vaccum forming some clear lenses, but if would be happy enough with the originals if I could achieve results comparable to that. Excuse my ignorance but what's G3?

Just googled it and I am guessing you didnt use the magazine for gay and bi woman to polish your headlghts :)

Edited by Shane (see edit history)

Will G6 Damage the plastic if there not really fooked?

G6 might damage your brain, but G3 shouldn't cause any problems with the headlights. Might be worth being a bit careful with the paint and rubber as it seems to be quite harsh if rubbed hard!

Oh and thank's Gav for the stuff in the first place :thumbs:

Looks like fantastic results. I've used G3 in the past but I always turn to plastix. The results with it are magic too, you really need to work at it to get it like that though. I use one of the wooskin mop buffer things to "plastix" the lights. If G3 is getting those results consistantly then I think I'll just make the change....

Because I'm worth it.

Looks like fantastic results. I've used G3 in the past but I always turn to plastix. The results with it are magic too, you really need to work at it to get it like that though. I use one of the wooskin mop buffer things to "plastix" the lights. If G3 is getting those results consistantly then I think I'll just make the change....

Because I'm worth it.

Is that PlastX from Meguiars Scott? If it's the same, I tried that a couple of years ago and it was pretty good. Not sure if my memory is failing me, but this compound seems to give a better result than anything I've used before, and with so little effort. It took just a couple of minutes to get the finish pictured, almost no effort needed.

Is that PlastX from Meguiars Scott? If it's the same, I tried that a couple of years ago and it was pretty good. Not sure if my memory is failing me, but this compound seems to give a better result than anything I've used before, and with so little effort. It took just a couple of minutes to get the finish pictured, almost no effort needed.

Yeah that's the stuff. The only reason I didn't stick with the G3 was because I was using the mop, I didn't want to go nuts with the stuff. If the G3 gets results like that by hand then there is no question it makes more sense going that way :)

Good find :thumbs:

i swear by this stuff! G3 is awsome! its good for getting rid of overspray too, if someone has dome some dodgy painting on it before! i normally just use kitchen paper towels and G3 and my lights look like glass!

I used microfibre polishing clothes (which I swear by!), they make polishing very easy and give a superb finish. I've used kitchen towel previously but it always caused fairly heavy scratches no matter how carefully used.

^^ Plastx FTW - Done mine over a year ago when refurbed them, still bang on. Lookin good though H :)

Glad you're getting good results with the PlastX, I remember it being good, if a little hard work :) This compound was a hell of a lot easier to work though and at least on "day 1" gave the best results I've found so far.

I used microfibre polishing clothes (which I swear by!)

Are they the tiny clothes that Dwarf their competition? What do you do, rub yourself vigorously on the car? :D

Anyway, no swearing on the forum. Thank you. :)

Oh yeah nearly forgot, I used Xerapol and found it very good but didn't have microfibre on at the time. I was wearing kitchen towel. :D

Edited by Morpheus
Remembered what I was going to say. (see edit history)