The mkiv Supra Owners Club

what to clap calliper hose with??

bullet_uk

Not sure if they work with brake lines as they're a bit too thick but for a couple of quid you can buy nylon/plastic clamps the size of small pliers that have boltcutter type jaws and a sliding ring to hold them tight.

Your local shop should have them. You'll obviously need to bleed the brakes once you're done painting as there's no way you'll remove the calipers without introducing significant air. When was the last time the brake fluid was replaced? Might be a good time to do it once you've put them back on. :)

Otherwise the old fluid could boil and ruin your nice new paint job. :)

You could always paint them in situ by just removing the brake disc to give you better access for cleaning etc and then bolt the caliper back up in position.

I did it this way the first time with very good results.

:yeahthat:

I did it the long way with shotblasting etc etc etc. Far more effort than is required as it is just brake calipers afterall. If I was doing it again, I would do it in situ as described above. If you sat my calipers next to ones done that way you would spot the difference, on the car you couldn't tell.

I did it the long way with shotblasting etc etc etc.

I'm doing it this way at the moment as I'm fitting new stainless lines, I had to replace a couple of the pistons and new seals etc so I thought I may aswell paint them the best way I could.

I have a basic shot blasting cabinet, I painted the caliper yesterday with 2 pack base coat and laquer and the finish is superb. There's a bloke over on Supraforums who's been doing it this way for years so I know the paint doesn't deteriorate.

as above I'm wanting to paint the callipers but don't want to go to the hassle of draining them so what's the best thing to use to clap the hose?????

Just pull off half a finger or less from a latex glove, put it over the end & cable tie it. That's the way i always do it when refurbing or removing callipers.