The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Autobox oil top up, how much?

Bossco

How much oil do you need for a top up for an auto box? I've checked mine this morning and it's right down the bottom end of the dip stick when running warm. I'm just going to use the normal Toyota type IV stuff I just dont want to buy any more than I have to.

Cheers.

1 small bottle will be enough mate I recon. I just used automatic transmission fluid in my blue Supra. No doubt it's loads cheaper than Toyota. There's a gear selector sequence to do whilst filling though so don't just bung it in cos your level will change again as soon as you drive it.

This whole top up issue is getting confusing for something so simple. I've been reading a whole boat load of arguments going back to 2004 about filling the box via the dip stick. Most agree with you mate about it being the only way but there are loads of posts saying it shouldnt be done. If it's not filled via the dip stick then I cant see how it's done as I cant see any fill hole on the box.......unless it's on the top of the box and I cant see it???

You drive the car till the box is up to temp,then you park on the flat,then you put it the gear stick all the way from park to 2nd,do this 3 times,get out the car and see the lvl and top up a bit at a time,then run it through the gears again and see that it's just under max.

On bmw's you have to undo a bolt and pump it in with a tube because there is no other way to get it in.........so just fill it where the dipstick is.