The mkiv Supra Owners Club

A warning to those who are catless

dude

Speaking to our local MOT station and he is very windy about catless cars, he is saying that VOSA are just about to have a massive clampdown on cars that should have CAT's fitted, any of these found in roadside checks will have a prohibition notice put on them and cannot be driven away. I long thought this would happen which is why I left the CAt shell on my Range Rover when I gutted them.If the VOSA guys find the emissions over thats no problem as long as the car has what APPEARS to be a CAT fitted, you will get a 7 day fix it ticket.

There is a solution but I'll advertise that in the AFR section.

wonder how much its going to cost for them to do road side checks

A lot of traffic cars now have a VOSA guy on board, I got stopped by one the other day and he made me rip the tints off the front windows of a customers car, when I argued he said we wont mention the illegal exhaust and the fact that I'll bet if have a look underneath there will be no cats !!!! The traffic cop asked if it had an open wastegate !!!! WTF the gestapo are coming. they have had big roadside checks for bike for years, do you think it bothers the Govt how much it will cost.

no they dont care, just up fuel prices again to cover costs

Thats quite right but we are of course very dangerous criminals, apparently it costs more to stay in a police cell than in the best room at the Grand in Brighton, £550 with Plod and £450 at the Grand.

So thats 1760 nights at £550 my hotel bill £968,000 !!!!!!!!!

Thats quite right but we are of course very dangerous criminals, apparently it costs more to stay in a police cell than in the best room at the Grand in Brighton, £550 with Plod and £450 at the Grand.

So thats 1760 nights at £550 my hotel bill £968,000 !!!!!!!!!

4 year and 8 months in prison. What did you do? Take the baffle out of your exhaust :p

A previous club I was in (Celica) used to decat by gutting the insides out of cat tin. It's not a nice job and decent masks are needed because of the crap thats inside them.

I used to think this was a bit of a bodge but maybe now its the way ahead to beat the road Gestapo. I'm sure Keron has a few old cats lying around.

So now i have to put 2 shells on my decats? only just had them fitted :(

I'm sure as long as the 2nd one has a shell on it then it'd be ok. You can't really see the 1st decat from a glance underneath.

Or just lower your car to the point that they can't see under it!

4 year and 8 months in prison. What did you do? Take the baffle out of your exhaust :p

My mistake thats bad maths, it was 5 years and 1 night !!!!! So thats over 1 million and don't be silly you cant get 5 years for a baffle................................................it was speeding:innocent:

We had a MOT leaflet through the other day about up-coming laws they are 'thinking' of introducing into the MOT.. It looks like they are trying to get them towards 2 years MOT's. One of them is having a CAT fitted! At the minute,the MOT book doesn't actually state there needs to be a CAT fitted, just that it needs to pass a BETS/CAT test (1993 on). They are also getting proper anal about silly things like being able to fail a car on things like dust covers split on ball joints, airbag lights go on and off, ALL dash lights work as they should, (main beam, airbag, TC/ESP etc) and now they are on about rear doors, all locks and hinges.

Either way, if all of that comes into play, alot more cars will be getting scrapped and the price of MOT's will shoot up due to the added time needed to check all the new items.

Dude, you should have asked him what was illegal about the exhaust.. Fair enough their may be a noise limit but where in the law book does it say you must have cats fitted. Even for MOT's we can take them off straight after. Can't see what VOSA can do on the side of the road that they can't do in a MOT test station. Surely they can't give you a telling off for a non fitted CAT if it ain't in their manual.

How do you get a cat looking thing to go over a 4" midpipe lol

Easy dude, you will be able to knock one up no problem, in fact Scott M may want one too, just copy a sports CAT, get a piece of 5" SS tube about 8-10" long and make 2 reducers to 4" (like a funnel), hey presto polish it and sports CAT fitted;)

and out of a kitted up supra and a standard one which do you think will be pulled over first???

its a joke , i have a 730ld bmw on 20'S and i have never been pulled over i dive my old clio and thats it in pulled all the time for "headlights not working"

IF my car was declared manufactured in 95/96 and was on an N plate but theoretically speaking was vin number 10000ish so possibly manufactured in 93 how would that stand on needing cats?

Oh and a sard sports cat would be ok?