The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Speedometer problems - dropping out

cainhead

Hello, been having trouble for a while with my speedo. It drops out quite a lot, and when it does the odo does not clock up. I have been through the guides from steveR and checked all the connections. Weirdly though, I have an F.E.S chip which connects to the back of the actual cluster, and the wire colours differ to that of the Thor chip used in SteveR's guide.

I do have el-glo dials which i believe can affect things but they have been fine for years, and I have moved the power input away from the speedo.

Any ideas before I fork out for a new chip only to find its something else, that and Thor seem to be out of stock.

CHeers

I did have a Thor chip and mine did just the same. I ended up just taking it out and let it add up in kph.

If you want it to take off the 110mph limit (I know some people dis-agree with me here) but I have had two Supras and both have worked just the same. Behind the odometer there is a pink wire. Cut this in half and the limiter doesnt work. Iv tried this on two N/As and 1 Twin Turbo. All work with no bad side effects.

That would explain why the pink wire is cut behind my odometre. But its the actual speedo thats dropping out, and I don't really want the speed in KPH. What puzzles me is why the wires coming from the chip are attached to the back of the speedo.

IIRC the wires from the chip 'would' attach to the speedo. The signal is sent to the chip, converted to MPH then sent back to the speedo. If its dropping out you either have a pinched wire somewhere or the chips on the blink. I'm afraid I cant help with a new chip tho.