The mkiv Supra Owners Club

De-linned lights first attempt :)

cje001

Well what a task and a half this is!! :)

Rewarding but very difficult and time consuming.

Had spare set so gave it a go, a previous owner had attempted to spray the inserts silver and bottled it half way accross so i thought i`d spay them black.

Attached a couple of pics of the work from the 2nd lens which i started today.

Its pretty impossible to get rid of all the scratches left from the removal unless you simply want to spend hours and hours and hours on them but its a good look and something different! Much better than lines i think!

Anyway, we like pics so here we go!

Are the "lines" not Fresnel type lenses to give a controlled beam pattern? I would imagine the headlamps will now scatter the beam and dazzle other drivers, as well as having a poor beam pattern for your own vision. I applaud your effort though it must have taken ages to do that!

Are the "lines" not Fresnel type lenses to give a controlled beam pattern? I would imagine the headlamps will now scatter the beam and dazzle other drivers, as well as having a poor beam pattern for your own vision. I applaud your effort though it must have taken ages to do that!

It isn't quite as sinister as that but your thinking is correct. The dipped beam lines are there to aid the beam pattern, they don't do much though thanks to how shocking the lights are to begin with. I checked mine 3 times at an MOT station, varying HIDs and clear lenses. Never had any issue and I have never been flashed by other drivers to notify me of dazzling lights, something that often happens in my mondeo.

They certainly won't be "E" marked anymore anyway :D

beaten tooooo it! :(

Yeah it took ages, going to complete the other lens and spray and then try on the car, will try the lights etc and report back.

Like i said, these are a spare pair :)

Took a while, prob about 4 hours per lens.

Close up there are still some marks but it gives a good impact.

May see these up for sale sometime soon lads so keep an eye out!!!

:)

sweet! to be honest tho, its only going to dazzle people if you drive round with your high beam on, and if someone needs to be flashed, well lets just say it will do its job lol dont supose you want to referb me a set of facelifts while your at it :) god loves a trier , everyone else thinks iam a ........ :taped:

sweet! to be honest tho, its only going to dazzle people if you drive round with your high beam on, and if someone needs to be flashed, well lets just say it will do its job lol dont supose you want to referb me a set of facelifts while your at it :) god loves a trier , everyone else thinks iam a ........ :taped:

I might do mate, depends how long the next set take etc,

I have a bit of time on my hands so was maybe thinking about either doing this as an exchange or just sell them.

What do people think these are worth?

I know facelift and glass ones are 300ish....

Yes mate..... why wouldnt they?

I can't see the pictures in work but if you have sprayed over the sidelight lenses then the sidelights will no longer be visible.

Did you remove the lenses via the 2 screws underneath before spraying?

Why would these dazzle people? Surely it's no different to all the new audis, vauxhals etc etc that have projector lamps with clear lenses?

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn7/marcAB10/fc84ee51.jpg

Genuine question as I can't see the difference.

Modern projector lenses have gubbins behind them to trim the top of the light IIRC. The Supra doesn't have any of that, but I haven't had any issues with scatter so it doesn't worry me.

I can't see the pictures in work but if you have sprayed over the sidelight lenses then the sidelights will no longer be visible.

Did you remove the lenses via the 2 screws underneath before spraying?

Ill have a look at this today, just remove and flat the paint off if so...

Cheers

I might do mate, depends how long the next set take etc,

I have a bit of time on my hands so was maybe thinking about either doing this as an exchange or just sell them.

What do people think these are worth?

I know facelift and glass ones are 300ish....

well Caroline has a bust up set of facelifts that are in desperate need of a referb and there would be no rush as she has a set of UKs in at the moment , the lenses dont really need de-line its just the internals need resprayed and the lenses polished up a wee bit

well Caroline has a bust up set of facelifts that are in desperate need of a referb and there would be no rush as she has a set of UKs in at the moment , the lenses dont really need de-line its just the internals need resprayed and the lenses polished up a wee bit

No probs - get her to PM me mate or let me know :)

Is Caroline your mrs?