The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Changing the coolant for the first time ! Am i doing it right ?

alex2jz

Hi chaps,

Think it's time i changed the coolant as it's never been done for quite some time now.

Being my first time doing this, i am a bit nervous, knowing i can really mess things up :blink:

Looking up at the numerous " How to change your coolant" tutorials over the internet I've sorted the steps in my head :

1. Drain the coolant from the radiator and expansion tank

2. Fill and drain the radiator with water until the water comes out clean ( i don't have the tools to flush the system)

3. Fill the radiator with the 50/50 mix of coolant ( i've got the Toyota red stuff). Fill the expansion tank hallfway.

4. Start your engine with the radiator cap off and let it run for approximately 10 minutes. Then turn on your heater, and turn it up to hot. This will circulate the coolant and allow any trapped air along with it to dissipate

And that would be all. Please tell if there's something i'm not doing or doing it wrong.

Cheers

Alex

Edited by alex2jz (see edit history)

Drain and flush out system, empty system

Refill with coolant.

Run the engine till it gets to normal running temp and the stat has opened, set heater to max hot, keep

the engine running with the rad cap off letting out any trapped air, raise the revs a little to help do this, check

the heater is blowing out HOT air refit rad cap.

Check temp stays at normal and check the next day when cold, rad level and expansion tank level

Don't water down the red stuff coolant, its pre mixed

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Drain and flush out system, empty system

Refill with coolant.

Run the engine till it gets to normal running temp and the stat has opened, set heater to max hot, keep

the engine running with the rad cap off letting out any trapped air, raise the revs a little to help do this, check

the heater is blowing out HOT air refit rad cap.

Check temp stays at normal and check the next day when cold, rad level and expansion tank level

Don't water down the red stuff coolant, its pre mixed

Thanks mate ! By draining and flushing the radiator only, will i get enough\all of the old coolant out of the system ?

Also, what's bugging me is that the coolant i have in my expansion tank at the moment is very odd, it has no color, it looks like plain water :blink: Is this normal ?

Edited by alex2jz (see edit history)

You'll still have coolant or water in the block and heater.

Why not run the car and flush through the system with water with the engine running then drain

that off, you wont be able to get it all out.

There is a drain bolt on the side of the block though which you undo, it has a pipe sticking out underneath it

I wouldnt worry about whats in the expansion tank now if your changing it but it definitely shouldnt be clear or just water.

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...
You'll still have coolant or water in the block and heater.

Why not run the car and flush through the system with water with the engine running then drain

that off, you wont be able to get it all out.

There is a drain bolt on the side of the block though which you undo, it has a pipe sticking out underneath it

I wouldnt worry about whats in the expansion tank now if your changing it but it definitely shouldnt be clear or just water.

Problem is i don't have access to a garden hose. I'm thinking of draining the radiator and drain what i can by opening the drain bolt on the side of the block, BTW is that on the passenger or driver side ? Only thing resembling a drain bolt i can find on the drivers side. Then fill the radiator with water run the engine, drain all the contents and refill with coolant.

Also, does this look like Toyota Red coolant ? Looks kind of pink to me.

P1000715b.jpg

The system holds approx 8 litres so if you just drain out whats in it then refill with water from a watering can then run and drain through and repeat it should be fine.

I think the block drain bolt is on the turbo side towards the bulkhead but is quite tricky to get at.

Cant tell the colour but just empty it and wash it out with clean water and refill with your

new coolant

The system holds approx 8 litres so if you just drain out whats in it then refill with water from a watering can then run and drain through and repeat it should be fine.

I think the block drain bolt is on the turbo side towards the bulkhead but is quite tricky to get at.

Cant tell the colour but just empty it and wash it out with clean water and refill with your

new coolant

Cheers mate !

• 3 weeks later...