The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Red coolant

hodge

Hey guys

So I go into Toyota today to pick up Johnny.G's new oil pump and 4 tubs of red long life coolant. He gives me the pump and 1 tub of coolant and smiles.

So I say to him I need 4 mate. And here's what he told me.

"we only ever keep 1 because we don't use it anymore we use pink instead cos it's more expensive".

WTF!!!!!!! They don't sell it just because they can sell the pink at a higher cost.

I paid for 4 tubs and he's ordered the rest in for me.

Just thought I'd share with you.

Not much of a sales person. :think:

If he had said 'better' instead of 'expensive', maybe he could have parted you with a little more of your wonder wallet filler? ;)

Even if he told me it was "Deluxe" coolant I wouldn't have parted with 34.99 per tub.

I rang Toyota in Wigan yesterday for those little plastic push in clips under the bonnet of the Celica, you know the ones that pop out and hold the plastic covers in place. There are about 10 missing under the bonnet and I lost one the day I bought the car. I was expecting a pack of 20 for about £3. Oh no, they only sell them individually at £1.20 Each...!!

The guy at Wigan said " I know some of our prices are a little high" as I went mad on the phone. I replied by saying "SOME?, how about ALL of your prices are daft, are you wearing a mask?"

Robbing gits..!!

H.

Guest wantthatone

you can get the pre mixed toyota coolant long life red on ebay at iirc £11 for 5 ltrs, toyota garage was selling them, with carriage it was about £13... my local toyota wanted £36 for 5 ltrs!

I asked this quite a while ago and im sure Steve Manley told me i shouldn't use it, i will check

and try to find out why.

I may be getting confused with the Celica we have just bought. That is a 2004 and it is suitable for both. Maybe the MKIV has something different about the engine?

H.

Guest wantthatone
Funny you should say that :) as im sure i was told it was too corrosive for the mkiv engine
true, the ready mixed red is needed

It's an iron block, alloy headed engine with no special requirements whatsoever, Toyota would *LIKE* you to buy mega expensive antifreeze with red dye in it, but there's absolutely no need to use it.

Interesting... Seeing as my coolant's all over the drive (need to clean it before parents see it), this may save me some dough!

Dogs and cats and other animals will drink some anti freezes as they taste sweet, but it will give them renal failure if they drink much of it, so it's best hosed away as soon as possible.

All our animals died recently :cry:

But yeah, good point, let me clean it up!

It's an iron block, alloy headed engine with no special requirements whatsoever, Toyota would *LIKE* you to buy mega expensive antifreeze with red dye in it, but there's absolutely no need to use it.
that's what I thought, so just brought so good quality antifreeze from local car shop.