The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Do you know my SUPRA?

Guest Stimpy

Guest Stimpy

Hi All

New member, had a MKIII with big single turbo but blew it, had loads of fast cars inbetween (but blew most of them too lol, and decided to go back to the Supra world with a MKIV. Found a fairly modded example at TBM cars and had it delivered up to Lincolnshire. The reg is L698 XHU, and as it is covered in stickers from this forum and Octaneboost.co.uk I wanted to know if anyone here used to own it or knows it? Got shedloads of quarter mile and dyno data with it. There is a distinctive stainless steel plate under the bonet with ELF stamped on it, ring any bells?

Anyhoo, this thing is rapid, fun and I was hoping somebody had some info on it? It is not the original plate, this had the reg J50PRA at one point but I wasnt lucky enough to get that with the car. It has some foibles like needing to be warmed up before driving or it splutters as the turbo gets pressure but when warm it's great. I figure somebody chopped this in and I'm not hunting anyone, just wondered if it needed any attention that they know to keep it healthy, because it will get it if I know what it needs. I would guess it only does 10mpg but who cares. Anyone out there want to talk?

Stimpy

10 mpg is pretty crap unless its not running right or your driving it like you stole it

had a MKIII with big single turbo but blew it, had loads of fast cars inbetween (but blew most of them too lol

Option two would be my guess :D

Guest Stimpy

I'm afraid it is option two, I also have a BMW 330D MSport and am getting less than 20mpg out of that (yes, a diesel). Got through over 40 cars in 14 years, yikes! I bought the Sup because I wanted to have fun but now I want it to last too. It's a TT with quite a few bits, struts, dump etc. The main problem is I have to warm it up before going anywhere, I dont mind this cos its good for the engine but it needs about 20 minutes in the winter or it stutters when the turbo gets to positive on the gauge. I've been told this is normal by some and not by others so what is it?

I dont mind this cos its good for the engine but it needs about 20 minutes in the winter or it stutters when the turbo gets to positive on the gauge. I've been told this is normal by some and not by others so what is it?

That's not normal.

I'm afraid it is option two, I also have a BMW 330D MSport and am getting less than 20mpg out of that (yes, a diesel).

That's not normal either. These will do late 30s EASILY all day long, and over 50 on a run. Sounds like your Supra and your BMW need looking at :(

Welcome aboard though :)

Replace/clean the 02 sensors and take things from there, that fuel economy is poor. Unless you keep to motorway limits but in 2nd gear exclusively :)

As for the cooling plate in the engine bay, I'm assuming you meant "EFL"? Unfortunately not very distinctive - very common plate on a large number of Supras :)

Guest Stimpy

Hi guys, thanks for the welcome. I know 20mpg on the BMW isnt normal for cruising (it has just been fully serviced and checked by BMW though), but that is the problem, I never cruise unless I have passengers (when I dont think it is right to go nuts). I have had most of the faster cars over the years and found my lead foot produces the same problem, had a 4.2 Jag once that did 6mpg!

(if anyone is interested in getting a BMW, they do about 30mpg cruising on small roads and 38 on long runs, 0-60 is fab on them on the MSport for a diesel and they go all the way to 158mph on my sat nav given enough road, but the MSPort is a different animal to the normal 330D which is very pedestrian).

I will have to start looking at a potential problem with the Sup though, thanks for the info, if anyone else has a similar problem I would love to hear about it.

Hi Stimpy

This is my old car. Please feel free to ask me any questions about it. I traded it in for a Legacy twin turbo estate :)

It never needed warming up or spluttered on boost when I had it :(

Spluttering on boost might be that the plugs need replacing?

Guest Stimpy

Hi Haydn

Superb! I figured I would find you as the Supra aint a common car to say the least. I have the problem with it when cold which is apparently common on Sups but many people offer different solutions. O2 Sensor, leads, you name it. What kind of plugs are best for these, Halfords etc dont have any records for Supras, even oil type! Can you email me on [email protected] as I have a couple of questions about it which others may find boring. I'd like to know how the legacy stands against it too as I considered one of those myself before getting the BMW MSport

Hi Haydn

Superb! I figured I would find you as the Supra aint a common car to say the least. I have the problem with it when cold which is apparently common on Sups but many people offer different solutions. O2 Sensor, leads, you name it. What kind of plugs are best for these, Halfords etc dont have any records for Supras, even oil type! Can you email me on [email protected] as I have a couple of questions about it which others may find boring. I'd like to know how the legacy stands against it too as I considered one of those myself before getting the BMW MSport

Emailed :)

• 9 months later...
Guest Stimpy

Hi Hadyn

Can you send me the link for the thread with all the mods to this car, I am going to sell it on when I have had the paint tuned up to get an M5 - I dont want to but my kids just cant fit in the Supe and it's not getting much use. I need the lit of mods to help sell it. Cheers

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
Strange? Same engine, gearbox and final drive ratio. Possibly lighter too as smaller wheels and no body kit.

Agreed. Absolute rubbish. Msport package is styling and suspension options on the car. They share the exact same engine as the SE models. The only explanation is the previous owner of the car may have chip tuned it.

Edited by nige-rz (see edit history)