The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra bars, braces and springs questions

krisso_pl

Hi guys! I was wondering how can I improve stiffness of my car and started looking for some braces and bars and am very suprised. There is almost NOTHING to our cars...

Of course front and rear strut bars and stabilizer bars but thats all.. what about fender braces or some floor braces? Was looking for a brace that goes behind the seats on the floor from US but is there any dealer or manufacturer in EU? Im really pissed of coz I dont want a roll cage but would like to put some braces here and there.

Where should I look for it and what kind of braces, bars are available for supra?

Second question - to the lowering springs. I have oem TT suspension and ROTA GTR wheels. 8,5" with 235 tyre on front and 9,5" with 265 tyre on rear. Firts of all- they are rubbing sometimes on some bigger bumps so I have to roll rear fenders for sure.

The ride height is to high and I want to lower it a bit. I had Eibach springs for a minute on my last oem suspension and it was terrible! Ride was harsh, hard and totally non comfortable. What springs should I look for? Any advices?

The MKIV none aerotop chassis is very good, if you are looking for less body roll you could invest in some TRD/TITAN/CUSCO anti roll bars (ARB) which replace the stock front and rear items, also as you mention you could also fit front and rear strut braces but to be honest the rear doesnt appear to do much since its heavily braced under the carpet already.

If its safety your looking I dont see the doluck braces offering anything as they would surely just punch through the skin in a heavy impact unless spreader plates were welded in place.

There are a number of bolt-in cage options but unless properly installed would suffer the same as above, these range from half rear cages upto full cages.

For street suspension I would say speak to Chris Wilson on hear, he has supplied many members with a setup they all seem happy with, myself included ;)

To the chasis - mine is aerotop :D I already have front strut brace and TT stabilizers all the way (its NA) but its not enough I think. Im looking for that incar floor brace and saw some time ago on supraforums a braces that goes along the car under doorsteps but dont where to look for them.

To the suspension - I will try contact Chris as you advice.

yeah, thats great - I saw all those pictures before :D But where to buy it ? I saw only front and rear strut bars on some carbing dealer website. Besides I cannot find any carbing dealer in UK. I definitely need floor support bars and floor brace.

To the suspesion in general : sometimes I feel my car a bit hmmm.... dont know how to say it... loose:) Dont know why and whats the cause. Car was never in an accident, coilovers seems to be fine. Maybe bushings? Also when I hit a bump I feel it on the steering wheel but much more then in the other cars I had and it feels like the whole car is turning to the side which I hit a bump. Maybe steering rack bushings or something like that? Whare can I buy a kit of bushings for supra? I dont want to make it very hard but maybe some poliurethane ?

Hi guys! I was wondering how can I improve stiffness of my car and started looking for some braces and bars and am very suprised. There is almost NOTHING to our cars...

yeah, thats great - I saw all those pictures before :D

Well thats 5 minutes of my life wasted! :p

Well thats 5 minutes of my life wasted! :p

Nic, probably...and sadly...I found an answer to my question and know how to solve my problem :( I found a thread, where you have also posted. Problem is with the worn bushings and it seems that I have to replace them all. I already sent you a PM with price question of the parts but the cost is probably ridiculus :( I cannot understand why are te oem parts so expensive - these cars are mostly over 10 years old and they market value is low.

Im considering other option but need to contact Paul Whifin, or maybe somebody on here can help me - what about SuperPro urethane kit from Whifbitz? I recall this is a street car and the roads are bumpy here but im looking for some good handling :D

Nic, probably...and sadly...I found an answer to my question and know how to solve my problem :( I found a thread, where you have also posted. Problem is with the worn bushings and it seems that I have to replace them all. I already sent you a PM with price question of the parts but the cost is probably ridiculus :( I cannot understand why are te oem parts so expensive - these cars are mostly over 10 years old and they market value is low.

Im considering other option but need to contact Paul Whifin, or maybe somebody on here can help me - what about SuperPro urethane kit from Whifbitz? I recall this is a street car and the roads are bumpy here but im looking for some good handling :D

The parts are expensive because they are very high quality components, remember what these cars cost as new - parts prices will always get higher, not lower. The suspension arms are expensive as they are machined cast aluminium.

Have you checked your suspenion arms are in Toyota spec tolerrance? If not, do that. Do you have silly sized wheel fitted to the car? If they are not stock have you had a full geometry check done since changing the wheels or suspension?

Also, as the car is an aero top it's always going to feel a bit "floppy" no matter how much bracing you add. Only a full roll cage will help an aerotop feel solid, nothing is going to stop the flex without solid roof support bars like you'd get in the monocoque of the hardtop.

Problem is with the worn bushings and it seems that I have to replace them all. I already sent you a PM with price question of the parts but the cost is probably ridiculus :(

Sorry I'm not trading at the moment.

For the best results I would replace with genuine OEM Toyota parts, to completely overhaul the suspension is expensive but on a Supra with tired suspension it will make a dramatic difference to the handling, ride quality and grip; THE best money I ever spent on my car.

Rather than looking at braces, I would get the condition of the suspension components checked, get anything that needs replacing replaced and get the geometry properly setup.

Sorry I'm not trading at the moment.

Ok, so who to give a call? Also you said to get the condition of the suspension components checked - but how? When we get under the car, look at the wishbones, pry on them and look for any loose, everything seem to be fine and firm...but something is knocking somewhere at front and handling of the car is pure. So replace everything or just some components?

Ok, so who to give a call?

See forum traders section.

Also you said to get the condition of the suspension components checked - but how? When we get under the car, look at the wishbones, pry on them and look for any loose, everything seem to be fine and firm...but something is knocking somewhere at front and handling of the car is pure.

Everything you need in the service manual HERE.

So replace everything or just some components?

You can replace individual parts, what needs replacing depends on what you find after checking. Personally if a component needs replacing I would change both sides at the same time.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

but something is knocking somewhere at front and handling of the car is pure.

When is it knocking; over bumps, steering at low speed etc? The first thing I would check is that all the subframe and suspension bolts are torqued up to the correct specification, see the service manual for details.

When is it knocking; over bumps, steering at low speed etc? The first thing I would check is that all the subframe and suspension bolts are torqued up to the correct specification, see the service manual for details.

When we move the car up on the lift and then put it back on the ground, series of loud knockings can be heared. Also when we put the car back on the ground and when I turn the steering wheel right, no matter what force - first milimeter of move and you can here a knock. We cannot realy locate it coz when you get under the car and try to hear it from there the sound is coming from everywhere:/ I am 50% sure that the sound is coming from the right lower arm bushing. Its not moving, vibrating, loose or anything, just like the sound is coming from somewhere there... I also thought that this could be a spring or pillow mount of coilover...but its really hard to locate and after some time of listening you really hear and feel the knock almost everywhere on the subframe and on both coilovers :D I really dont know how to start looking for it :/

What do you think about those R2 bushings? There are many people in US who use them and they are very happy with them, what do you guys think?

I have almost completed collecting parts for going NA-T and now this shit on which I have to spend money :(

Edited by krisso_pl (see edit history)

Well at least that narrows it down then.

Not wishing to sound rude but i assume you've started with

the simpleist things such as wheels are tight and the wheel bearings are all good ?

I checked a customers supra a while ago who complained of a knocking noise and the nearside front wheel

was actually loose and one stud had sheared off !

I would systematically go round everything underneath, my car had seized eccentric adjusters on the

lower wishbones, you couldn't see any play, they had to be cut off and in the end i ended up

replacing all the suspension arms etc

I wrote to my local toyota dealer with the list of parts from the thread which I mention few posts back. Can you please help me check the numbers, because they wrote me they cannot check some of the numbers:

Front:

48610-19025 Front Upper Arm - RH

48630-19025 Front Upper Arm - LH

48068-14080 Front Lower Arm sub assy - RH

48069-14080 Front Lower Arm sub assy - LH

Rear:

48730-14040 Rear Lower Arm - RH

48740-14070 Rear Lower Arm - LH

48710-14110 Rear Arm Assembly RH

48720-xxxxx Rear Arm Assembly LH

48780A Rod assy, rear

48780A Rod assy, rear

48725-14070 Bush, rear axle carrier 48725F RH

48725-14070 Bush, rear axle carrier 48725G LH

48770A Arm assy, Upper control, rear RH

48790 Arm assy, Upper control, rear LH

Also, what about stabilizers bushings and steering rack?I heard that they can be worned to

Edited by krisso_pl (see edit history)