The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Brake pad change...

neo2810

I've got a new set of rear pads to fit but having never done it before, I'd rather not make a schoolboy error and pump air into my system.

How easy are they to fit? Is it just a case of lifting the caliper and swapping them out? When you wind the piston back in, do you have to bleed the brakes a little to compensate?

Anyone nearby who's done it fancy helping me out? :D

The Supra doesn't have wind in pistons on the rear, for the handbrake it use a drum and shoe arrangement.

If you've never changed brake pads before, I'd highly advise to get someone to walk you through it, rather than reading up on the internet.

Cheers Konrad, that's pretty much the process I expected. I assume you open the reservoir to allow the fluid to push back into it from the piston pressure? Anyone know if there is any danger of getting air into your ABS system by doing this?

The Supra doesn't have wind in pistons on the rear, for the handbrake it use a drum and shoe arrangement.

If you've never changed brake pads before, I'd highly advise to get someone to walk you through it, rather than reading up on the internet.

Eh? It most definately does have a piston in each caliper... I'm not talking about the handbrake, I'm talking about the pistons which hold the brake pads against the disc.

I'm prefectly capable of changing the pads myself, I'm just using the internet (wisely) to check one or 2 details. Would you like a lend of my caliper rewind tool for your neck? :D

Edited by neo2810 (see edit history)

I dont think theres any need to be rude, you have a crossed wire regarding how the piston operates

and the guy was just trying to help.

Some sytems have wind in pistons which operate the handbrake, the supra doesnt and they

just simply push in and out

I recomend you have a close look at the outer piston seal at the same time as changing

the pads, use brake cleaner to remove and brake dust build up to see it the seals are perished and

could be split or have holes in, this eventually lets muck and water get at the piston and piston bore

and they will seize up.

Take the sliding pins out and clean them, apply a small amount of copper

slip to them and refit.

Copper slip on the back sides of the pads as well in small amounts

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

I dont think theres any need to be rude, you have a crossed wire regarding how the piston operates

and the guy was just trying to help.

Some sytems have wind in pistons which operate the handbrake, the supra doesnt and they

just simply push in and out

I recomend you have a close look at the outer piston seal at the same time as changing

the pads, use brake cleaner to remove and brake dust build up to see it the seals are perished and

could be split or have holes in, this eventually lets muck and water get at the piston and piston bore

and they will seize up.

Take the sliding pins out and clean them, apply a small amount of copper

slip to them and refit.

Copper slip on the back sides of the pads as well in small amounts

And the toneless internet strikes again... Humour, not rude...

When I said "wind the caliper in" I should have termed it "push" to avoid confusion but I didn't realise there was also a winding version.

Moving swiftly on, thanks for the advice Dnk. All 4 calipers were recently refurbed so the seals should be grand.

Side note: I'm so misunderstood on this forum. I'm South African. We are brash by default and sometimes when we're trying to be funny we come across as rude. I'll try and work on that :p

Edited by neo2810 (see edit history)

Think were all just trying to help and sometimes posts can be read 2 ways, if im trying to be funny or humorous

i add a smilie which usually helps :D

My pleasure giving you the advice, thats what this place is for :)

ATB with the pad change and nice to hear someones refurbed them already :thumbs:

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

And the toneless internet strikes again... Humour, not rude...

When I said "wind the caliper in" I should have termed it "push" to avoid confusion but I didn't realise there was also a winding version.

Moving swiftly on, thanks for the advice Dnk. All 4 calipers were recently refurbed so the seals should be grand.

Side note: I'm so misunderstood on this forum. I'm South African. We are brash by default and sometimes when we're trying to be funny we come across as rude. I'll try and work on that :p

If the "wind your neck in" comment was a joke then a simple ";)" would have stopped any confusion :p

Where abouts in SA are you from? I wanted to emigrate there before things changed so much. Good luck with the pad change, should be straightforward to do. If you have to bleed DO NOT overtighten the bleed nipples, the fronts in particular are prone to crack the caliper casting if over torqued. they only need nipping up.

Where abouts in SA are you from? I wanted to emigrate there before things changed so much. Good luck with the pad change, should be straightforward to do. If you have to bleed DO NOT overtighten the bleed nipples, the fronts in particular are prone to crack the caliper casting if over torqued. they only need nipping up.

Thanks Chris, but I've learned the nipple tightning lesson the hard way :rolleyes:

I'm from a little city called East London, on the south east coast. I'd not want to live anywhere but Cape Town if I ever went back now, but there's not much chance of that happening.

PS: Pads arrived safe and sound yesterday so thanks for quick delivery. Took me 2 hours to get into them though :p