The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Best N/A induction kit...?

Soopra

I'm not repeating the above but think about it... a stock air filter has had many years of development in producing the best filtration the car could have got. The third-party producers spent well... no time as they simply got a bit of pipe and stuck their only choice of filter on hoping that people would fool for their brilliance. Yes, some third-party filters are good, but they are no match for what the car was built with.

I already have a HKS induction kit that was fitted when bought and was wondering the advantages of sticking the stock air box back in with a performance filter. Are there any plus's and is it worth buying them new?

I would always keep the stock airbox and stick a decent panel filter in, oem or k&n. The hks and similar kits draw in hot air from the engine bay. the stock ones draw in cold air from 2 different places. cold air is more dense which is what you need...simples

I already have a HKS induction kit that was fitted when bought and was wondering the advantages of sticking the stock air box back in with a performance filter. Are there any plus's and is it worth buying them new?

Put a wanted ad up, they seem to fetch £25-30 from what I've seen

Put a wanted ad up, they seem to fetch £25-30 from what I've seen

Cheers but any stock parts I always buy new from Toyota, is there a benefit in power or MPG to going stock i'm just wondering if its worth the effort?

Cheers but any stock parts I always buy new from Toyota, is there a benefit in power or MPG to going stock i'm just wondering if its worth the effort?

Stock will give more power and better MPG, especially when at slower speeds. It is worth the extremely limited effort. You can get 2nd hand housings for the NA for less than inductions kits cost and new filters are only about £20-30 from Toyota.

They key feature of the stock airbox is the cold air feed followed by superior filtration, all a cone filter is doing is pulling all that hot air from the exhaust manifold into the engine. HKS filters are shockingly bad at filtering which is ironic seeing as its their primary task lol.

Indeed if I could run a stock airbox on my single turbo I would, as it stands Im making my own

I had an HKS mushroom filter on my supra when I bought it. This was soon changed back to the standard airbox (Pau Whiffin at Whifbitz had one lying around). It was a big improvement, making it run smoother as it is a very effective twin entry cold air intake system. I replaced the stock filter with a Blitz LM one. Probably no different to a stock filter to be honest.

On cooler days if you want a tiny bit more intake noise you can re4move the front part of the airbox.