The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Keyless start? Is that possible?

winnie109

Hi guys I'm just planning my interior for when I get my supe.... I've got as far as a new headunit with an attached reversing cam mounted by my rear number plate lights.... Spray painting the dash to either black gloss or White or maybe orange gloss, blue neons for the interior and slotted under the front doors to replace the existing ones?? Does it have front under door lights?? (curtesy lights)

I also want to know about a push start button for starting the engine and how this could eventually be incorporated...

Cheers guys!! :D

Keyless start is possible, you could have a Honda S2000 start button. I believe a few forum members have done this in the past, from what I can vaguely remember they put the start button where the cigeratte lighter port is, though I think you still need to use the key to push it over to ignition.

If you want totally keyless, then a remote start with the alarm system can be incorportated into the system.

Neon's? You planning on putting on ones which change colours to? :blink:

Neons??????? You sure it's a sup u want and not a saxo

I think you miss read..... Another question I asked was, does the supe have under doOr lights so that you can see where your feet when you get out? If it does then I'm thinking of changing those to neons so that they ONLY come on when the door opens and I wouldn't mind some neons in the footwell... Similar to that of a lexus IS 06+... which has blue LED on permanently even whilst driving.

Anyways... So just having a butting to start the car would push the insurance up?!?! Even though I'd still be using the old key to 'turn over the engine' ??

Edited by winnie109 (see edit history)

I think you miss read..... Another question I asked was, does the supe have under doOr lights so that you can see where your feet when you get out? If it does then I'm thinking of changing those to neons so that they ONLY come on when the door opens and I wouldn't mind some neons in the footwell... Similar to that of a lexus IS 06+... which has blue LED on permanently even whilst driving.

Anyways... So just having a butting to start the car would push the insurance up?!?! Even though I'd still be using the old key to 'turn over the engine' ??

I've not seen any lights under my doors. Have a look next time you are near your car.

if you still have the key, then probabaly will not affect the insurance but if you still need the key why bother at all?

The supra can have footwell lighting mine does when you open the doors, and its oem but it was an optional extra some do not have it.

EDIT- the lights are under the dash not the doors :) hope this helps

No they don't have under door lighting, I assume you don't have a Supra then?

Lexus use LED technology for interior lighting not neons :)

With regards to insurance, they would feel uneasy if you can start the car with just a button. What they would be thinking is that a thief just needs to get the ignition running (by hard wiring it) and then just push the button. It is an additional loop in security which worries them.

Edited by Abz
insurance part added. (see edit history)

I believe your refering to puddle lighting, I have installed these on mine using a strip of white LEDs, unfortunately, they came out to be way too bright, but I'm off to try dimming it all down when I put them back on again, you have to make sure that it is a very subtle glow rather than blackpool lights.

Oh and neons and footwell lights are chavtastic, please don't.

Thanks for the heads up guys! Rather LEDS than neons but IMO neons do look cool on certain cars.... I'm not a chav either.... Just trying to give my supra a personal stamp rather than just be another supra in my eyes.

To answer your question... I don't own one but I am saving for one someday soon! I just wanted to see people's opinions on the matter with neons and such lighting...

Each to their own! Haha :D

On the US forum there is a guy who makes kits to replace the starter barrel with a button. You then have a key fob that needs to be in the car before the button actives and the steering lock is unlocked, much the same as new fords. There are several variations you can get from him, lock as you walk away, unlock when you are close, button the the fob needed to be pressed to activate, proximity activation, auto window close etc...

He only seems to make about 5 kits a year though and every time I ask he says he is making more soon.

Oh, and neons are cool.....if you are either living in TRON world, or are under 16 and like highlighter pens.

On the US forum there is a guy who makes kits to replace the starter barrel with a button. You then have a key fob that needs to be in the car before the button actives and the steering lock is unlocked, much the same as new fords. There are several variations you can get from him, lock as you walk away, unlock when you are close, button the the fob needed to be pressed to activate, proximity activation, auto window close etc...

He only seems to make about 5 kits a year though and every time I ask he says he is making more soon.

Oh, and neons are cool.....if you are either living in TRON world, or are under 16 and like highlighter pens.

that is quite some workman ship! have you got a link? would be interested to check that out

sounds really good, if it was approved by the insurers then I would be really interested

I think nearly all the cars with push button start still need a key for ignition.

Yeah there will be a good few. I know the IS lexus just has a card you can keep in your wallet & the car will sense it, but this idea of push button in a supra sounds good. It will keep the interior upto date.