The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Aftermarket rad issue

_Shane_

Guys i purchased a radiator for the supra online last week, off a shop on ebay etc

The fan shroud does not line up correctly (2/4 holes are off) but i will correct this myself.

My main concern is there was a temp sensor in the bottom of the stock rad and this will not fit in the hole in the new rad (hole in new rad is too big)

Stupid question now but is that sensor needed and is there a work around ?

Thanks in advance

Shane

The switch is for the electric cooling fan(s) and is very important. Toyota made several different rads for the MKIV with different shroud pick up points and core thickness's. Very few aftermarket ones are as efficient as the (rather plain looking...) stock rads. The shroud itself is vital to proper viscous fan efficiency.

could i hardwire in a switch for the electric cooling fans and not use the sensor ?

You could, but it would be a total cock up, and if you don't watch the temps properly and forget to turn it on? Just get the right rad. I have yet to see an off the shelf alloy rad that has good a core as the stock units. To better stock you'd have to spend a LOT of dosh, probably well over grand for a Seca bar and plate cored one.