The mkiv Supra Owners Club

An intersting piece of equipment for us 6 speed owners - sequential conversion

marc_p

I glanced at two videos ( a Honda and an Imprezza ) and in neither of them did the gear indicator light work. Seemed stuck showing "8". Looks like a right gimmick to me, one of the beauties of an H pattern box is the ability to skip gears, you are losing that, yet still have a slow change and potential synchromesh issues. Nothing wrong with H pattern boxes, they are fine :)

I glanced at two videos ( a Honda and an Imprezza ) and in neither of them did the gear indicator light work. Seemed stuck showing "8". Looks like a right gimmick to me, one of the beauties of an H pattern box is the ability to skip gears, you are losing that, yet still have a slow change and potential synchromesh issues. Nothing wrong with H pattern boxes, they are fine :)

I would have to agree I personally think that system would take the fun out of driving for me!

That is true, but it's nice to see were getting closer to having a full sequential conversion available for manual box's, rather than splashing out £7k+ on a Quaiffe box.

If somebody could design it so it operates the clutch aswell then there onto a winner :)

The gearbox in that clip id s proper sequential dog box, not their modded H pattern lever movement alteration kit :

http://eng.kaps-transmissions.com/products-si-full-sequential-gearbox.html

I keep toying with adding a paddle shift servo to my Tractive sequential in the Skyline, I have never had a paddle shift with throttle blipper before. I don't NEED it, but they are quite cool:

shows the same gearbox as mine, but with a Pro Shift kit added. Edited by Chris Wilson (see edit history)

I think the gear indicator is actually working in those clips Chris but it is nearly impossible to see because of the camera position, ambient light etc.

But I don't think I'd pay for that type of set-up nonetheless, a nice straight cut gearset for whatever box you have or ideally a fully sequential would be worth the extra outlay and far more useable.

I'm toying with the idea of fitting some kind of throttle blipper to the car myself, when I have it all back together. Hopefully it will take some of the strain off the W58 on the downchanges and I can't see my heel and toe technique improving enough to tackle the problem that way.

I was going to see of the OEM cruise control actuator could be tweeked to be of some use to the project, that way a small paddle fixed behind the wheel could be used and all I'd need to run from the cabin to the engine bay would be a few wires. A mechanical system would prove a bit more cumbersome but still possible to fit but the paddle would need to be fixed to the steering column or dash in order for it to be a success.

Sorry for meandering, please proceed.:)

The gearbox in that clip id s proper sequential dog box, not their modded H pattern lever movement alteration kit :

http://eng.kaps-transmissions.com/products-si-full-sequential-gearbox.html

I keep toying with adding a paddle shift servo to my Tractive sequential in the Skyline, I have never had a paddle shift with throttle blipper before. I don't NEED it, but they are quite cool:

shows the same gearbox as mine, but with a Pro Shift kit added.

makes sense... I like the idea of clutchless WOT paddle shifting :)

Then the auto boys wouldn't even have "we're faster in a straight line than you manual lot" :eyebrows:

Looks quite interesting, wonder how reliable it is.

You guys would still be slower! By the time you move your hands from the steering wheel & drop it down and at the same time put the clutch down the auto would have already changed gear & be pulling ahead!

:D

These systems come to their own, when they are clutch less.