The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help Ariel trouble

bullet_uk

So I jumped in the car as always this morning and my ariel when up but the motor sounded like it struggled well down it won't go down the motor is making the noise it should As if the ariel is going down but nothing happens can anyone shed some light on it and how to I sort it thanks

The aerial motor mounted below the mast uses a nylon toothed belt to pull the mast up and down. Over time the nylon becomes weaker and can snap, leaving the aerial stuck in whatever position it's in. You should be fine to carefully push the aerial back down for the time being.

Toyota sell replacement masts that come with the nylon belt (belt is permanently attached to the mast, so have to replace both). You almost certainly don't need a new motor itself, which is good because they're somewhat more expensive. You'll need to remove the motor to clean out any bits of old nylon, and to re-fit the new mast.

I had exactly the same problem. I just left the aeriel up until my stubby one was delivered. When I took the electric one out I opened it up to see what had broken and it was the toothed belt that had broken but it was also way beyond repair unfortunately. Anyway, I fitted the stubby and now my radio reception is crap! I live in a little village and never had a signal issue before but now it's rubbish unless I'm in a large town/city. I'll be going back to the electric one as soon as I can get one. Anyone want to swap one for a stubby?

It's relatively easy to get to the motor. Take the rubber grommet off from the outside of the rear wing at the base of the aerial. Then remove the plastic trim inside the boot: it comes off in a specific order because all the bits overlap each other, inspection should make it obvious. There's a bolt or two holding the motor to the inside of the rear wing. Undo those and extract. :)

ok so i took the inside panel off in the boot to have a look at the motor and had a little play so when the Ariel goes up it gets to the top and the motor still goes as if its not fully extended then when going down it will only go down if you give it a push by hand do you still think its the nylon thing??????????????

ok so i took the inside panel off in the boot to have a look at the motor and had a little play so when the Ariel goes up it gets to the top and the motor still goes as if its not fully extended then when going down it will only go down if you give it a push by hand do you still think its the nylon thing??????????????

Yes :). It's normal for motor to run on a bit, especially if the belt is broken. Pushing the aerial down probably allows the motor's wheel to grab onto an unbroken part of the belt.

Edited by stevie_b (see edit history)

i went to toyota today to get a price on this nylon bit for the motor and they said the don't sell it separate so where do i go from here?? other then seeing if keron has one

Toyota don't sell just the nylon belt: the belt is permanently attached to the metal mast, so you need to ask Mr T for a new metal mast assembly.

my ariel motors working but the metal ariel has actually snapped lol

im just gona find someone selling one when im ready to buy and swap the whole thing over

See above :)

i went to toyota today to get a price on this nylon bit for the motor and they said the don't sell it separate so where do i go from here?? other then seeing if keron has one

The "plastic bit" is part of the mast which is available from Toyota or can be bought for less on ebay.

Do a search, it has been posted by some who have them that they don't pick up much.

well i can't see that it would really effect the signal by changing the antenner just because one is longer then the other this should change anything in this case its not bigger is better it all works on how good the head unit is and the sort of area your in