The mkiv Supra Owners Club

OEM Turbos - J Spec vs VVT- i (variants).

Pudsey

Hi everyone,

This may be more suited to the technical area of discussion, but thought I would start the ball rolling here first.

Does anyone know if...

Pre Facelift J Spec OEM Ceramic Turbos

are exactly the same as

Facelift J Spec OEM Ceramic Turbos?

I have searched, but couldn't find a question or answer that was similiar to mine above.

Appreciate any advice or pointers on the subject.

Thanks All ;)

The fit of the pre-facelift and facelift turbos is the same.

On the EPC there are 2 sets of part numbers for J-spec turbos, the first set of part numbers were discontinued and replaced with new part numbers. This could mean there were some changes made, but could also just mean Toyota's supplier changed and that the turbos are identical. I don't think there are any obvious visual difference between the 2.

The fit of the pre-facelift and facelift turbos is the same.

On the EPC there are 2 sets of part numbers for J-spec turbos, the first set of part numbers were discontinued and replaced with new part numbers. This could mean there were some changes made, but could also just mean Toyota's supplier changed and that the turbos are identical. I don't think there are any obvious visual difference between the 2.

Nic,

Many Thanks for the information.

Sounds as though it would be okay to retro fit a more modern set in the event of an issue then.

Last time I priced them up they were well over a grand each with the VAT. The only way i fit recon turbos these days is with a written undertaking from the customer that *THEY* stand the labour and gaskets and oil if they fail and need changing. Had some really bad experiences with re(al) con turbos this year. New is the way to go, may be initially dear, but in the longer term they seem far more reliable than re-con units. Plus turbo re builders have a parrot like ability to say "oil contamination, blocked oil return, incorrect installation" if things go pear shaped. They seem incapable of uttering "sorry, but no worries, it's under warranty" :)

You can only buy the VVti turbos new from Toyota, but they are a direct interchange with zero fitment or usage issues, as Nic says, the VVti part numbers now supersede the older none VVti numbers.

Thanks - Excellent news, as I bought a spare set as a back up, and just wondered if they can be applied to an pre facelift.

I've got a pair of VVTi and non-VVTi turbos and visually (externally and internally) they appear exactly the same.

That's brilliant news, someone who has actually compared the two.

Confirms the great feedback from Nic and Chris.

Cheers

Last time I priced them up they were well over a grand each with the VAT. The only way i fit recon turbos these days is with a written undertaking from the customer that *THEY* stand the labour and gaskets and oil if they fail and need changing. Had some really bad experiences with re(al) con turbos this year. New is the way to go, may be initially dear, but in the longer term they seem far more reliable than re-con units. Plus turbo re builders have a parrot like ability to say "oil contamination, blocked oil return, incorrect installation" if things go pear shaped. They seem incapable of uttering "sorry, but no worries, it's under warranty" :)

Cricky they are very expensive then, and you say thats each too?

I guess that's why so many people opt to convert to a single conversion, rather than replace the OEM turbos.

Judging by your experience with re con turbos that doesn't sound very good does it, if I am ever in that situation will have to give it some serious thought.

Just glad I picked up a second hand set as a back up.

Thanks Chris.

I've had both types on my car and there didn't seem to be any difference between the two in terms of performance and durability. My first set of factory fitted pre-facelift turbos blew on the dyno after about 40K-50K kms, these were replaced with a brand new set of VVTi turbos which lasted a similar distance before blowing, both sets also had cracking of the turbo housing around the wastegate .

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

• 3 months later...
Guys, as an additional conformation, would the Aristo (JZS160/JZS161) be turbos the same as the JZA80?

The turbos are the same as fitted to the VVTi Supras, same fit as the non VVTi Supra.

Nic, what was the cause of your car turbos blowing twice?

Factory fitted set went whilst being dynoed.

Replacement brand new turbos blew whilst driving, the car was making around 430hp at the time. HK driving is probably similar to Tokyo, lots of stop start, low gear driving, with few opportunities to cruise anywhere, not good for the life of the turbos!

The turbos are the same as fitted to the VVTi Supras, same fit as the non VVTi Supra.

Factory fitted set went whilst being dynoed.

Replacement brand new turbos blew whilst driving, the car was making around 430hp at the time. HK driving is probably similar to Tokyo, lots of stop start, low gear driving, with few opportunities to cruise anywhere, not good for the life of the turbos!

Thanks Nic...

Yeah Japan is not the best for driving conditions, can't wait to get the car back to SA....