The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Just phoned the DVLA

hodge

I'm after a bit of help here guys.

I've just phoned the DVLA about the changes to my supra. Fitting a turbo engine and a manual 6 speed.

Now they've asked for a receipt for having them fitted, and photographic evidence that it actually has been done and a covering letter to say why I've done it.

They also said if there not happy with the info they will come out and inspect the car.

Has anyone else had this. Is it just common practice now.

Thanks

John

You phoned the DVLA and offered info? Are you *MAD*? :) Those jobsworths are now hyped up over job cuts and wage reductions, and to be avoided at all costs, because their bureaucratic

noses are on full twitch to try and make themselves look busy and indispensable. You should have just done an engine number change on the registration document, or maybe done nothing/ ;)

Good luck, they are a total and utter nightmare.

All they're interested in checking is that you aren't trying to give a stolen turbo 6 a new identity. I'd provide them with plenty of pics through out the build as the change is so dramatic & quite possibly a link to your build thread or they will be down with Vosa.

It is common practice and just to check that the information is true and the vehicle is as described. There are no cheks/tests to the car as that would be done by VOSA if needed. My Mrs used to be the inspector at our local DVLA office so if you've got any other questions just send me a PM over and i'll ask her for you.

You phoned the DVLA and offered info? Are you *MAD*? :) Those jobsworths are now hyped up over job cuts and wage reductions, and to be avoided at all costs, because their bureaucratic

noses are on full twitch to try and make themselves look busy and indispensable. You should have just done an engine number change on the registration document, or maybe done nothing/ ;)

That's exactly what I did with the MR2 when I went V6

Took me 6 weeks of letters backwards and forwards just to transfer a reg plate, ending up with 6 separate specific forms to be filled in, which they kept sending back asking for slightly different corrections.

I just wanted to speak to someone to clarify what needed to be filled in, but you can't actually get hold of a real person on their phone menu system (which they got hauled up over earlier this year because the convoluted system + high call charges was a multi-million pound profit for them!) and they wouldn't call ME, despite me giving them contact details which THEY requested!

+1 total nightmare!

Just work on the basis of the information recorded in the "Vehicle Details" section of the registration document, and the information required in the "Changes to Current Vehicle" section..

You need to tell the DVLA if anything pertinent has changed (or if you have made such radical changes to the chassis that an IVA is required, but that's a different issue entirely). There is no entry for turbo or N/A and there is no entry for manual or auto, so just tell them about the engine number change and let them decide whether they need to check the engine's provenance, but be prepared to show that you acquired it legitimately.

Well you are only changing the engine really, still using the same chassis which DVLA are more concerned about.

Keep it simple Hodge or they will think you are building a jet, just say you swapped the engine and transmission.

If they ask why, just say... "I was bored" :D

as long as your insurance is all valid thats the main thing i would say.

i mean the car is still a toyota supra inst it. possibly i would just notify then of the new engine number.

imports dont usually have all the info on them. on my log book, next to engine number it says "unknown"