The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rounded off Screw

SPG

Well tomorro i finally get my Car in for its MOT, but low and behold she has developed a missfire. I traced the problem down the the 18month old spark plugs (car had been Sorn'd).

So i set about removing the Coilpacks and everything was going really well, i mean even the coil pack clips were in fantastic shape. I removed the old black and worn sparkies from front to back but as i approached the last coilpack i realised that the last screw holding it on was completely rounded off and on tight. The last time the spark plugs were changed i had the full service carried out by CRD (should have expected something to be wrong i guess).

Soo my question is, how do i go abouts removing this troublesome screw :)

I assume you mean the cross head screws on each coilpack ?

If so.

The coilpacks are mounted in pairs on a metal frame.

Undo the 2 x 10mm or 8mm (cant recall which) hex headed bolts that hold the frame in place and remove as one piece.

Then you can get at the screws holding the coilpacks to the frame much more easily and simply drill out

the damaged one if mole grips dont work

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

As above.

I had exactly the same issue as yourself but I then noticed the bolts holding the brackets in. I ordered up some new screws from MR-T, took out the offending bracket and got the screw out with molegrips. There is no way I would have been able to get it out in situ. Really glad Toyota had the foresight on this one as it would be a nightmare of a job otherwise.

Molegrips? If not use a dremel to cut a flat in the head, then a decent sized screwdriver? Failing that, drill it :)

Molegrips....good luck getting those in there. Must be a mission ;)

From expereince I recall removing the coilpacks using the two outside 10mm bolts and leaving the little gold screws as there notourious for getting rounded off

Edited by mikeyb10supra (see edit history)

Molegrips....good luck getting those in there. Must be a mission ;)

From expereince I recall removing the coilpacks using the two outside 10mm bolts and leaving the little gold screws as there notourious for getting rounded off

I was thinking that, its a pair of 10mm bolts holding the coils in.

Thanks for all the help everyone, i managed to remove the bracket and get the screw out using mole grips

I thought this post would be about recommendations for a post coital drink, how disappointing ;)

Sorry Chris, no Male to Female connections were required

Thanks for all the help everyone, i managed to remove the bracket and get the screw out using mole grips

Sorry Chris, no Male to Female connections were required

LOL, glad it's sorted, the bolts at the very back are a bit of a pain to get at. Using stainless (A2) ones will stop any danger of corroding in and seizing in future.