The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Keeping a Supra in shape whist storing it.

Tyson

Now I have the saxo I won't be driving the supra that much any more. My question is what tips are there for keeping her in shape whilst not using her.

How often should I start her up and how long should I drive her for? I've heard alternators die, tyre flat spots,rust in the cylinders and other stuff. What's true and what isn't?

It will be on the drive under a car cover which I am getting soon. Thanks in advance.

Every two weeks let the engine warm up, also go for an easy drive 5mile drive. If over winter time I tend to just go up and down our driveway just freeing any rust build up on the brake discs and putting a heat cycle through the engine system.

If under a cover, other than the above, just an exterior wash every month to stop enything growing or embedding itself in to the paint work and exterior trim.

Trickle charger is a good device to keep battery topped up. Unless you plan to disconnect it when stored.

But I don't think there is much else you can reasonably do to keep things in everyday running mode. (Doing the above every week I suppose - but then it start to defeat the object of a car in storage).

Another thing, the cars in the UK rot like anything, so if possible (as I understand you have to keep it outside) trying getting it in a spot where it will get as less rain fall as possible. Get a decent breathable car cover, infact I have one if you want. Make sure you leave the handbrake down and as others have suggested, start her up every couple of weeks at least. You don't have to drive it but will help the gearbox, brakes etc.