The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Manual Boost Controller VS Electronic Boost Controller

Scott

So after a few years of running my car on a MBC I decided to take the plunge and get an EBC that Rob was selling.

2 weeks ago I went about fitting it, was very straight forward and I was very happy with myself. I set it to 1.2bar and went out to test it. I was hitting 1.09bar and couldn't figure out why. I tried 1.3bar but I was still getting the same. I was pressed for time so I left it at that till I was home. The next day I decided to have a play with it again. This time I adjusted the gain feature. What followed was a holy mother of god wtf just happened to my Supra moment. The power delivery during the transition is now absolutely savage and it has turned the car into an unruley beast. I now get a very steady 1.2bar on the gauge with a peak of around 1.25 (at the transition though, so safe enough).

Has anyone else went from a manual boost controller to an electronic one? This gain feature is a bit mental. I think the power is the same up top but it's as if it just holds the wastegate shut for that extra split second to increase the initial boost at changeover. I now get 1.0bar from the 1st turbo and then 1.2bar from both.

Anyway, EBC definitely FTMFW.

I really do think I need one of these in my life :) always been after one but never really had the cash, think i might bite the bullet next month and do it... Was is fairly easy to set up yourself scott.... bearing in mind im not a mechanic or a genius :(

So after a few years of running my car on a MBC I decided to take the plunge and get an EBC that Rob was selling.

2 weeks ago I went about fitting it, was very straight forward and I was very happy with myself. I set it to 1.2bar and went out to test it. I was hitting 1.09bar and couldn't figure out why. I tried 1.3bar but I was still getting the same. I was pressed for time so I left it at that till I was home. The next day I decided to have a play with it again. This time I adjusted the gain feature. What followed was a holy mother of god wtf just happened to my Supra moment. The power delivery during the transition is now absolutely savage and it has turned the car into an unruley beast. I now get a very steady 1.2bar on the gauge with a peak of around 1.25 (at the transition though, so safe enough).

Has anyone else went from a manual boost controller to an electronic one? This gain feature is a bit mental. I think the power is the same up top but it's as if it just holds the wastegate shut for that extra split second to increase the initial boost at changeover. I now get 1.0bar from the 1st turbo and then 1.2bar from both.

Anyway, EBC definitely FTMFW.

Which one did you get?

Never had one in the Supeerraahhh, but I did have one in my Rev 3 MR2 (with ST205CC). It made the world of difference, off the wastegate, it was 0.85bar and with the AVCR running, it was a solid 1.35bar (it took a few weeks of tinkering to adjust the wastegate duty cycle to get it perfect) - and it absolutely flew.

It was a monster car, and amazing fun :) - you're right, EBC's FTMFW

I really do think I need one of these in my life :) always been after one but never really had the cash, think i might bite the bullet next month and do it... Was is fairly easy to set up yourself scott.... bearing in mind im not a mechanic or a genius :(

It was easy enough for me to setup, but I'm a bit of a technogeek that way. You know the type of person who has never seen a particular TV remote but can instantly work it, tune it and set it up? That's me. I just have a nack for gadgets really.

I recently setup the one on the car that I have up for sale at the moment (Harrys car). It was a little more complex as it didn't seem to use Bar or PSI as the scale. It just had increments, so it was a case of upping it a bit at a time till I got the figure I was after.

Which one did you get?

SARD Trigger

http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10753/Trigger.JPG

Nice to hear, I have a HKS EVC-S on my order from MVP, don't suppose you could post up what you have set everything to? I know loads of people have problems setting them up and find that they just end up spiking.

IMO spiking at the transition isn't too much of a problem as long as you don't run too lean. It certainly won't be an issue for the turbos as they are going to be worked FAR harder up the rev range. Good idea to have an AFR gauge and just watch for it going too lean at the switchover. Believe me though, this will take another set of eyes as you need to be awake lol.

The Sard controller takes Bar as the input so I have that set to 1.2. The gain I just messed around with till the spike was around 1.25 with a solid 1.2 after that. I think it's around the mid 50s at the moment.

Never had one in the Supeerraahhh, but I did have one in my Rev 3 MR2 (with ST205CC). It made the world of difference, off the wastegate, it was 0.85bar and with the AVCR running, it was a solid 1.35bar (it took a few weeks of tinkering to adjust the wastegate duty cycle to get it perfect) - and it absolutely flew.

It was a monster car, and amazing fun :) - you're right, EBC's FTMFW

Don't get me wrong, my MBC worked great and held the boost levels pretty steady. I was very happy with the power delivery but the way that an EBC brings in the 2nd turbo is just unreal. It's more than likely a false power gain, but it has most definitely hiked up the 4krpm power/torque. I leave 11s everytime I boot it in 2nd.

Congrats mate :) Personally I dont know why people bother with MBCs nowadays when theres so many good EBCs about in new and used forms :)

I had no problems with the MBC. It cost me about £15 and did the job very well. I honestly thought there would be no difference going to EBC, I just wanted one, but it's always nice to have a secondary monitor with peak etc. It's made the car a little wild lol. I need to find out what this gain function actually does as it is definitely the key to the whole thing.

The good thing about adjusting the gain is that you can smooth out the transition should you wish. Dropping it makes the progression of boost a lot smoother meaning that grip should be easier to achieve.

What followed was a holy mother of god wtf just happened to my Supra moment.

Yeah the gain feature makes a big difference to how quickly the turbos spool up. :thumbs:

Being able to map boost levels against rpms, speed, throttle position, etc. also helps with response and maximise boost through all gears. It can take a lot of trial and error to set up but the benefits once set are well worth it.

I had an EBC but I never used it, so I sold it, then decided I wanted to up the boost. Doh :( So I got a cheapo MBC one from eBay and it seems to do the job. I always thought an MBC would build boost like an EBC with the gain turned up since it would eliminate wastegate creep, but because the wastegate is shut for so long they are prone to overboosting. You've always seemed to have had lots of boost on your first turbo Scott. I see a smidge under 0.8bar on my first and about 1.2bar peak and it slowly drops to 1bar until about 6250rpm. Does yours hold 1.2bar up to about 6250? I think the MBCs are pretty good at building boost but don't allow it to be sustained all that well.

Nice to hear, I have a HKS EVC-S on my order from MVP, don't suppose you could post up what you have set everything to? I know loads of people have problems setting them up and find that they just end up spiking.

I'm not sure if the EVC-S has the gain feature or not.

It's only the top of the range EBC's that tend to have gain and boost mapping features, a basic EBC without these will give similar results to a manual boost controller.

I had an EBC but I never used it, so I sold it, then decided I wanted to up the boost. Doh :( So I got a cheapo MBC one from eBay and it seems to do the job. I always thought an MBC would build boost like an EBC with the gain turned up since it would eliminate wastegate creep, but because the wastegate is shut for so long they are prone to overboosting. You've always seemed to have had lots of boost on your first turbo Scott. I see a smidge under 0.8bar on my first and about 1.2bar peak and it slowly drops to 1bar until about 6250rpm. Does yours hold 1.2bar up to about 6250? I think the MBCs are pretty good at building boost but don't allow it to be sustained all that well.

I've seen 1.2bar from the 1st turbo in cold weather lol. Not really sure what it is that's doing it, but I like it :D

I haven't really watched the boost gauge right into the redline unfortunately. Will have a look next time I'm out. 6250 though? Pfft, try 8000 lol.

Its basically how late the boost controller allows the wastegate to open.

Yeah that's what I thought it was. Having it low makes it tentative hence why it wouldn't even make 1.2bar, having it high means it stays closed until the gauge sees 1.2, by which time the turbos are pushing out 1.6. At the moment I have it set so that I see 1.25 as a spike, that'll do nicely :D

I'm not sure if the EVC-S has the gain feature or not.

It's only the top of the range EBC's that tend to have gain and boost mapping features, a basic EBC without these will give similar results to a manual boost controller.

No idea on the specs of it to be honest, it's just the one that was recommended to me by MVP due to it having the things I require and also having peak hold function.

All I want to do is run 1.2 bar, don't care how it does it tbh.

I-colour is the best on the market IMO.

The SBC ID is the one that I had to config on the silver sup that I mentioned earlier. It's not as easy to setup as the one I have, lots of logging features though.

It is the one I mentioned that doesn't have Bar or PSI units.... it just appears to have units lol.

Does anyone know if the HKS EVC 5 has the gain feature? I have one on my car but I have no instructions/specs for it.

Yes the EVC V has the gain feature and the boost settings can be mapped against speed, rpm, etc.

I have the user manual for the EVC V on a pdf file, it's too big to post here, drop me an email to the address in my sig if you want a copy.

I-colour is the best on the market IMO.

:yeahthat: although I think the HKS EVC V is equally as good, I've used both on my Supra they are very similar in terms of features/function. I preferred the HKS EVC as I was also using the HKS F-Con and could link the 2 together.

:yeahthat: although I think the HKS EVC V is equally as good, I've used both on my Supra they are very similar in terms of features/function. I preferred the HKS EVC as I was also using the HKS F-Con and could link the 2 together.

Yup, read nothing but good things about that too. Would agree they are on par :)