The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Manual Spoiler Controllers

neilp9876

I keep seeing Blitz and "garfy" spoiler controllers for sale but I'm unsure of what they actually do, can you clarify for me? :search:

I would guess that pressing the down button makes the spoiler come down regardless of speed, turning it off makes the spoiler come up. Completely manual.

But what about the automatic control, is that lost altogether or does it still work?

For example I set off on a journey and put the spoiler down so I can look good going through town, I travel through the town and do a stretch on the motorway before hitting another town which has speed bumps. Will the automatic control have registered that I went fast and then slowed down so the spoiler is now up? Or will the spoiler still be down because I manually overrode it at the start?

I ask because if it doesnt go back to automatic then I will forget about it, and sooner or later it will get damaged.

You are right. This overrides the automatic aspect (which is lost with both). So once down, if you're in town and want it up, you have to remember to retract it! Otherwise you get a graunching sound. Thankfully its pretty flexible so can take a little abuse (I'm on my 2nd one though). I prefer it with the override switch.

Where can you find these little gadgets?

They come up in the for sale section sometimes but you would have to be quick, probably on ebay too. Someone called "Garfy" used to make them but I dont think he's around anymore so theyre harder to get hold off.

TBH I thought they did more than just make it a manual switch so theyre probably not for me anyway. Maybe someone like Heckler could design a new one that worked alongside the original ECU so that the auto function took over again at a certain speed?

Yeah just did some reading up on Garfy, not been online since 2010, so I guess he's moved on.

I wouldn't mind a completely manual switch on mine, as long as the light continued to work whilst it was down. Otherwise, as you say, it'd get scraped way too much.