The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Facelift or not? advantages and disadvantages

ripped_fear

The time has come for me to get my new supra, and I have always wanted a TT6 facelift.

But what are the disadvantages mechanically? now I am not particually mechanically minded but I do plan on getting to around 500-700bhp so I want my car to be as strong and safe as possible.

are the difference noticeable between the big diff and small, and the two gear box's?

also are there any other bad bits I should know about.

EDIT- I am not talking about the vvti 2jz

Facelift spec-

MECHANICAL DIFFERENCES

-v161 gear box (year depending)

-Small diff

-Weaker prop shaft

-Weaker hubs

-Weaker Engine mounts

-Dodgy rear boot release leaver

-Cheap oil dipstick

-Thinner radiator

-Softer elastomer material for the front upper and lower suspension arm bushes

-Bigger lower arm bush diameters

-Extra bracing for chasis

-Lighter

-UK spec brakes

-ABS has been changed to a 2–position solenoid valve type actuator.

VISUAL/INTERIOR DIFFERENCE

-Facelift head lights black inserts

-Clear indicators

-Facelift rear lights

-Different dash layout

-Analogue clock

-Analogue odo

-Different seats (headrest combined)

-Slow retracting seat belts

-Door arm rest can come away from door card

-Black carpet

-Black headlining

-Different stock wheels

-More colour choices

-Strut across font bumper air intake

OTHER

-Price

-Air bags

-Thinner bodywork

-Extra sound deadening

-

Edited by ripped_fear (see edit history)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh does that mean a face lift with without a vvti 2jz will have a v160 box?

No facelift comes with the V161, but difference is barely noticeable apart from the gearstick sits a little higher.

IMO the facelifts are much nicer inside and the lights and bumpers look a lot better on the facelifts.

no it will have v161 but maybe the early facelifts might have v160 but a good question to raise as someone might know.

v160 or v161 are both good and very little difference to be concerned if there should be any concern

ok thanks for the info, the differences I have found is the v161 seems to be able to take a higher speeds through the gears but strength is the thing I want to find out. im only asking as you well know i have fallen in love with your white one :p

ok thanks for the info, the differences I have found is the v161 seems to be able to take a higher speeds through the gears but strength is the thing I want to find out. im only asking as you well know i have fallen in love with your white one :p

Well I'll let you know if my V161 gives up :D

Facelift will be the better car i think, it certainly looks better, if i had one with the power i want id just change to the big diff setup and you are good to go, there use to be a shortage of decent cams for the vvti, im not sure thats an issue anymore, i did notice that scooby slayers car has binned off the vvti though.

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)

Facelift will be the better car i think, it certainly looks better, if i had one with the power i want id just change to the big diff setup and you are good to go, there use to be a shortage of decent cams for the vvti, im not sure thats an issue anymore though.

thanks mate! its starting to sound good then!

my TT is getting closer :D

I've not got a technical reply, but just wanted to say I think the pre-facelift has a better interior. As it has a digital clock, nicer dash layout of the speedo etc and the odometer is digital. I would however replace the front and rear lights for facelifts :D

IIRC V160 and V161 are the same strength-wise but they have slightly different ratios. I think theoretically the V160 can get to a higher speed (by 1 or 2mph) but by the time you hit top speed, you'll have run out of island :p.

Mine was a 96 facelift (non VVTi) and had a V160, from what I've gathered there's no difference strength wise.

Facelifts look a lot nicer externally in my opinion, the lights make a lot of difference and make the car look a lot more modern I think.

Facelift downsides are pretty minor..............engine mounts are a known issue at +70k miles sometimes sooner. Rear boot release lever can often not fully undo the boot, cheap oil dipstick and a few other bits and bobs. The engine mounts are i think the only thing between the models that can be singled out as a running costs difference.

I don't like facelift insides, don't like the clocks and prefer a digital clock and digital ODO as with the pre-facelift.

Actually I prefer everything about the pre-facelifts other than the headlights, I like facelift headlights :) Tail lights....depends on the colour of car. Pre-facelift rears look better on black, facelift rear lights better on all other colours.

End of the day its up to you. I did read somewhere that the interior build quality was better on preface lifts, on here somewhere.