The mkiv Supra Owners Club

n/a-turbo, engine swap or tt manual???

bobbywarne1983

I running things over and over in my head about what i want to do next now i have had the respray done... i have an N/A and i really want more power as we all no tuning an N/A just isnt the way to go..... so my options

1. ive seen the whifbitz n/a turbo conversion which looks really good.

2. find a second supra with a manual tt and do an engine swap...

3. sell my supra and with the money i have buy a 6 speed tt.

I am swayed towards the n/a turbo route as the idea of having that would be epic. but then if im willing to spend 5k or so on the conversion why not just sell up and spend 10k on a 6 speed tt.

what are your thought on my options guys would you rather make the car your own, or go the easier way and buy one with the power already (6 speed tt)...

bare in mind i only use the car on the weekends as i commute by train to work so being without a car for a few weeks wont hurt me.

all advice is greatly appreciated... :)

cheers

Im going to guess the majority vote on this will be "Sell the N/A buy a TT" ^^,

However if you have put a lot of time into getting the outside / inside of your car looking how you want it OR you like your car how it is & just want more power then the 1st 2 options come into play.

Selling the car and buying a TT does mean 1st you have to get the money you want for your car, which with things as they seem to be at the moment can prove a little more of a longer process than it used to be.

Cheers Chris, i guess i have a few months to make up my mind as thats when my insurance is due for renewal... i have spent alot of time n effort on the outside ( losing and gaining a spoiler as you very well know :p and a full respray and de graphicing it) and it is in prestine condition and i love my bride seat and the carbon dash. As for selling my car it would be a bit of a difficult one as i would be looking for £5k for my n/a ( and i know you can get tt autos for cheaper then that) but with its miles and condition i feel its a fair price, but with the current climate of fuel prices and it being a 3ltr anyways this might put off first time buyers off....

Full respray & removing the graphics - wow the car has changed a fair bit since I last saw it! Pics? : D

Personally I would stick with it, but then I wouldn't like to think about ever selling my car. Didn't realise your's had a carbon dash! On the upside with insurance going up more people may be looking for cheaper to insure N/A's for getting into Supra ownership - however that is a bit of a guess : )

Its pointless selling up now you have had the work done.. I would go for a TT transplant, and BPU.. your looking at similar power levels for a lot less cash than na/t .. plus you can always go single at a later date on the TT lump.

Its pointless selling up now you have had the work done.. I would go for a TT transplant, and BPU.. your looking at similar power levels for a lot less cash than na/t .. plus you can always go single at a later date on the TT lump.

but could i use an auto tt in my manual car, or would i have to find a tt manual to fit in my car?? im not to sure how that would work..

In my opinion its going to depend on what transmission you have. Unless you swap that as well, as auto NA won't like BPU power - 400bhp ish. im manual and im going through the stages of NA-T shopping list and to be fair, it probably would have cost the same amount of money to swap to a TT engine. if you want 320bhp go NA-T, if you want 400 you'd probably be best to swap and it will end up costing the same amount of money.

You need to give yourself a power goal, this will depend on what transmission you have though. some people have had higher power on stock NA transmission but this is what i found recommending power levels:

http://mkiv.supras.org.nz/techo.htm

Go to the section automatic tt gearbox spec

W58 5 speed manual in the n/a is good for 260 rwkw,

Auto in the n/a 200 rwkw

Gertrag 6 speed 600 rwkw

Auto in a tt 350 rwkw

1hp = 0.735kw so..... 1kw = 1.341hp (ish) so we convert and we get:

w58 348hp

na auto 270hp

gettrag 804hp

auto tt 470hp

Ive seen LOADS of cars push these figures and have NO issues but its just an idea of how far your pushing your box. These aren't figures set in stone just some info I found on another forum. Thought it may give you idea.

In my opinion its going to depend on what transmission you have. Unless you swap that as well, as auto NA won't like BPU power - 400bhp ish. im manual and im going through the stages of NA-T shopping list and to be fair, it probably would have cost the same amount of money to swap to a TT engine. if you want 320bhp go NA-T, if you want 400 you'd probably be best to swap and it will end up costing the same amount of money.

You need to give yourself a power goal, this will depend on what transmission you have though. some people have had higher power on stock NA transmission but this is what i found recommending power levels:

http://mkiv.supras.org.nz/techo.htm

Go to the section automatic tt gearbox spec

W58 5 speed manual in the n/a is good for 260 rwkw,

Auto in the n/a 200 rwkw

Gertrag 6 speed 600 rwkw

Auto in a tt 350 rwkw

1hp = 0.735kw so..... 1kw = 1.341hp (ish) so we convert and we get:

w58 348hp

na auto 270hp

gettrag 804hp

auto tt 470hp

Ive seen LOADS of cars push these figures and have NO issues but its just an idea of how far your pushing your box. These aren't figures set in stone just some info I found on another forum. Thought it may give you idea.[/quote

i would like to aim for a min of 320 but a max of 350... so im guessing my manual 5 speed wouldnt be able to handle that kind of power???

thanks for the link thats quote a helpful piece of information...

i would like to aim for a min of 320 but a max of 350... so im guessing my manual 5 speed wouldnt be able to handle that kind of power???.

Well the 5 speed manual box is the W58, so based on the info Noz put up, it should be able to handle it, but no more (working entirely based on those figures)

see if i had a calculator to hand i cud of worked that out lol... 260 x 1.341= 348.66 so it will be pushing the boundaries but will hold, not that im a hardcore driver, just a few blast here n there, then once its blown get a new one and take it on a few track days maybe and ruin the paint lol..

so my options, find a manual tt engine and all the trimmings, or go for the whifbitz n/a turbo upgrade...

Guest West.

Sell NA and buy nice TT6 around 7-8k! For my personally.. NA-turbo it complete waste of money and i don't think it reliable too..

i went the NA-T route (custom gathered kit), it required a LOT of fabrication but at the end of the day i do have what i want to have on my car.

i also have in mind that my W58 tranny could blow up due to running around 350 to 400 Rwhp... so i treat my tranny with respect which means no burnouts and other things that stress the gearbox :). im saving up for either an R154 5spd off an mk3 or a V16X, depending on funds. as an R154 requires allot of fabrication i think ill head towards the v16X side...

1. ive seen the whifbitz n/a turbo conversion which looks really good.

2. find a second supra with a manual tt and do an engine swap...

3. sell my supra and with the money i have buy a 6 speed tt.

I am swayed towards the n/a turbo route as the idea of having that would be epic. but then if im willing to spend 5k or so on the conversion why not just sell up and spend 10k on a 6 speed tt.

It will cost you a LOT more than £5K to do a reliable NA-T conversion, the Whifbiz kit alone costs almost £4K, add fueling upgrades, electronics, ECU/mapping, drivetrain, cooling, labour, etc. and you are looking at at least double that amount.

The sensible - and probably the most cost effective - option is to sell and buy a TT.

Fitting a 2JZ-GTE engine is an option but will probably cost you more in the long run when you factor in the drivetrain upgrades needed to handle the power and the lower resale value of the car compared to a genuine TT.

This is a popular thread subject at the moment, have a read of these threads from last week for more replies on the subject.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?246005-Supra-buying-advice!-HELP!&highlight=resale

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?245969-a-couple-of-single-turbo-questions

Well ive just done some calculating and with the figure i want 320-340bhp for an n/a turbo conversion im looking at £6500 and thats with doing everything through Paul at whifbitz. so thats £6500 for an extra 120bhp thats £54.17 per bhp.. not to sure if its worth it as of yet...