The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What width tyres for 12" rims? Where to buy now?

Scott

I'm planning ahead so looking into wheel/tyre combos that will happily take the power of a single supra. I'm having a little trouble getting things to add up so I was wondering what other members do.

I was looking on driftworks as they often do good offsets/widths etc and spotted a set of Grid wheels that are 12" wide (18x12). The only other width they list them in is 10". Due to having the overfenders etc I would rather just get the right size wheels (11-12") rather than mess too much with the offset or spaces.

From here I went onto camskill and then mytyres. I thought around 305 would be right for a 12" wheel but I couldn't find any... they dont list any 305 18" tyres at all.

Would I be better looking at 11" wheels with a bit of an offset rather than going for 12s? I don't like the stretched look so I want the tyres to fit properly. 285/295 seem readily available.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Edited by Scott (see edit history)

315's would be better.

I've got 11j rears, 275's look stupidly stretched, even 295's look a tad on the deprived side....

Is that falkens? I have falkens on mine at the moment and they look silly stretched. For some reason Falkens are just really small.

12" is 304.8mm so if the tyres are made to the appropriate sizes then 305 should be fine. I would love 315s but I just can't face spending THAT amount of money on tyres. Even 305s is going to be really pushing the boat out.

What offset would be needed for a 18x11 rim on the back of a stock body?

How much extra do the overfenders give Scott?

I have 10" rears on at the moment. They are +20 with a 15mm spacer so that would equate to 10" +5 which is clearly way off the stock offset. If I went with a 12" rear wheel I would be able to go back to around +30 with exactly the same look as I have at the moment. I would need to go a little more extreme with the 11" wheel but obviously it would be better than sticking with the 10s.

Stock body should be fine with a +45 ish I would have thought. The arches will need rolled though.

You just want to one up marc ;)

Not a chance, I don't have that sort of money to spend lol.

I have 18x12 et0 on mine, I run 315/30/18 Michelin PS2's and they are slightly stretched. IMO 295's would be stupidly stretched and I don't think you can get 305's in an 18" rim

I got my 315's for £155 each at the time which is dirt cheap for the size of them

335s if you've gone to the bother of a 12" rim. :)

I have 315 on 11.5 and the tyre is dead flush with the wheel edges, a 335 will sit out a touch from a 12" wheel (depending on the tyre brand).

As I said, I can't afford to be spending that amount on tyres. It's silly money for no gains.

I have 18x12 et0 on mine, I run 315/30/18 Michelin PS2's and they are slightly stretched. IMO 295's would be stupidly stretched and I don't think you can get 305's in an 18" rim

I got my 315's for £155 each at the time which is dirt cheap for the size of them

Yeah I wouldn't touch 295s, that's just too small. Looks like I'll be stuck with 315s then. I don't mind a slight stretch, as long as it isn't what I have at the moment.

Prices are coming in at £350 per corner though.

As I said, I can't afford to be spending that amount on tyres. It's silly money for no gains.

No gains compared to what though Scott? If you are looking for straight line traction you probably won't find the answer in a 315/30/18 road tyres stretched onto a 12" rim. You need more sidewall.

If you're on a budget you might be better off trying a 275/40/17 as that'll get you the same sidewall as a 315/35/17 and you can stick that on a 9.5" or 10" wheel and space it out to where you want it.

No gains compared to what though Scott? If you are looking for straight line traction you probably won't find the answer in a 315/30/18 road tyres stretched onto a 12" rim. You need more sidewall.

If you're on a budget you might be better off trying a 275/40/17 as that'll get you the same sidewall as a 315/35/17 and you can stick that on a 9.5" or 10" wheel and space it out to where you want it.

I won't get any gains in the compromises I am looking to make unfortunately. I won't go any smaller than 18" as I don't like the look of anything smaller. I'm not on a budget as such, I'm just not loaded. The money I spend on my car is overtime, so I am limited to a certain degree. Spending £400 on a tyre is just madness for me unfortunately. When I look around at what I could be spending £800 on with regards to my family or my home, a bit of rubber for my weekend toy is just not feasible this side of a lottery win. I am not after the best, the fastest or the tyre with the most potential. I am just after a setup that will be safe really, while still being able to enjoy the car and with it still looking the way I want it.

First and foremost I don't want a set of ditchfinders. Next I want the size to be 18". Next I want there to be as little stretch as possible. The only constraints after that are cash. I can't double the amount of money for a tyre based on an extra 20mm.

You'll get hooked mate, I've just been looking at Mickey Thompson ET Streets in the same size - expensive from LA Racing but if one of the US traders are willing to ship they come in at a tidier price (than LA, not compared to PS2's)

I don't see that happening to be honest. I don't bother with drag racing in the slightest. I rarely drive my car hard to be honest, although it does happen occasionally :D

It's a project, I just want to do it right within my means :)

I won't get any gains in the compromises I am looking to make unfortunately. I won't go any smaller than 18" as I don't like the look of anything smaller. I'm not on a budget as such, I'm just not loaded. The money I spend on my car is overtime, so I am limited to a certain degree. Spending £400 on a tyre is just madness for me unfortunately. When I look around at what I could be spending £800 on with regards to my family or my home, a bit of rubber for my weekend toy is just not feasible this side of a lottery win. I am not after the best, the fastest or the tyre with the most potential. I am just after a setup that will be safe really, while still being able to enjoy the car and with it still looking the way I want it.

First and foremost I don't want a set of ditchfinders. Next I want the size to be 18". Next I want there to be as little stretch as possible. The only constraints after that are cash. I can't double the amount of money for a tyre based on an extra 20mm.

Gotcha - all makes perfect sense mate. :thumbs:

With all that in mind I'd probably try to find an 11" rear to stick a nice fitting pair of 305/30/18 PS2s on and call it good.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm happy to pay the price for the 315s, I had more in my head if I'm honest so that's a bonus.

New problem is wheel size. Does anyone have the 315 ps2s on a 12" rim? They are 2" wider than my falkens but I don't want the stretch I have at the moment so I'm hoping they are a better fit. If not it will be 11.5" wheels, but I think I would have to band them to get that so I would need to search a mental offset lol.

Pita :D