The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Wish me luck!! I'm off in at the deep end!

marc_p

Well, I've decided to do the valve stem seals myself, I have to start knowing more about these engines sooner or later and after readind T-Licences Guide on how to do them I've decided to give it a go:blink:

I have the Valve Stem Replacement kit on my order from MVP so I thought I would start stripping down the bay tonight, I'm also going to get an alloy rad and electric fans and some lightweight pulleys so will be ripping all that off aswell, the only bit I'm kinda nervous about is the removal and putting back of the camshafts, but, whats the worst that could happen :innocent:.

So I shall now go forth to start destroying my 2JZ, wish me luck :D

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take your time and it is pretty straight forward. The guide is fantastic. I'm going to be tackling this one in the winter, granted I'm just taking the head off. With regards to the camshafts, I take it you have a couple of torque wrenches to hand? Decent ones I mean? That should be all you need. Obviously loosening everything off is easy enough, torquing is very important when putting back together though.

Hold on, wasn't you having trouble checking the oil on the Dragonball Run :D

You nutter! Good luck, I am sure you will have a poster of Rihanna to give you motivation.

Can see you right now, dancing away to her music while carry out the work! :D

dude , i have an old head with nakerd seals and a seal setg of you want a practice on that first.

remember take your time , get a good torque wrence and easy down in stages on the cams :)

all the best

Take your time and it is pretty straight forward. The guide is fantastic. I'm going to be tackling this one in the winter, granted I'm just taking the head off. With regards to the camshafts, I take it you have a couple of torque wrenches to hand? Decent ones I mean? That should be all you need. Obviously loosening everything off is easy enough, torquing is very important when putting back together though.

Cheers guy's, yup I already have a decent enough torque wrench to hand, I have a lot of time to do this as MVP won't be shipping out the vss till they have the ARP shifter bushes in stock, it's not a daily and I aint really desperatly wanting to use it until Suprapod so I have plenty of time to take it slow:)

Hold on, wasn't you having trouble checking the oil on the Dragonball Run :D

You nutter! Good luck, I am sure you will have a poster of Rihanna to give you motivation.

Can see you right now, dancing away to her music while carry out the work! :D

I've actually had a bit of Ke$ha on while I have been working tonight so :p

Cams out is easy, removing/fitting the collets is the tricky part,

buy spare collets . you will lose atleast 1 :p

Already had to do collets on a b16 Honda lump, I know there the most frustrating part :D

Good luck :)

I take it you're putting a new cambelt on too?

Already had that done recently along with a new OEM crank pulley and pulley belt so that'll be staying :)

Video it - then we can see the tears, blood and you being sectioned at the end!

TBH It will mostly be me scratching my head then declaring I need a cigarette whilst I think it over :D

Good luck! If mine ever need doing, I think I'll have a go myself as the guide seems really good.

Yeah, the guide seemed very thorough, that's why I decided to try it myself.

Anyway, tonight I set to armed with my 3 closest companions, Benson, Hedges and Heiniken:

We opened the bonnet to find a bay that basically looked like this:

Bring on, swearing, smoking and a couple of beers later and we were left with this:

I also removed the ICV again to try cleaning it out once more and seeing if I left it in brake cleaner for about 24 hours would do a better job than the last time as it only seemed to improve idle for about an hour.

Oh and I also found this under the battery tray, suicidal previous owner?