The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Question regarding standard 17" Supra Alloys

ChrisR

Originally posted by Syed Shah

9.5" Rear

:)

Feckin Hell.......9.5" rears. When i bought my Supra two years ago the dealer who sold me the car fitted aftermarket alloys. They were already on the car when i went to view. They are 17" and have standard tyre sizes for 17" alloys fitted to a Supra, 235 fronts, 255 rears. When i took them off the car to fit my new alloys i was a little stunned that the 17" are 7.5J all round, yes the rears as well. That means they are 2" narrower on the rears than stock. I have covered 6000 miles on these alloys and have experienced no problems whatsoever and Chris Wilson commented recently how well the car handled on them. Are 255 tyres too big for 7.5J. They dont look daft or anything, they are not bulging over the rim. They look hardly any different to the 235 on the fronts.

Originally posted by Chris Wilson

I have another customer with a MKIV TT on same width rims as the front, fitted to the back. I seem to recall that was nice too.

Cheers Chris, that is certainly the case with my rims as you know. I guess depending on the wheel sometimes the narrow rim combination works.

At the end of the day the tyres fit the rim with no issues and i have had no problem with drivabilty and handling in the two years i have had them.