The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hammerite my bonnet?

C_Strike

After Jafest and seeing a celica paintined with nothing more than hammerite spray cans or something, i was actually impressed with the results. Iv decided im going to paint my bonnet this method. Black with a matt finish.

Pretty sure i remember someone here doing their whole supra this method... Evin was it?

Eitherway, iv just a couple of questions.

Do i need to sand the bonnet first? I can then sand out the stone chips on it if so, or will it give me a different finish than if i just sprayed it? I assume the paint would have issues sticking to the gloss laquer of the bonnet currently without sanding.

Also, would it be wise to primer it before painting?

It would save me a load of cash doing it this way, and the results on the celica were pretty much the results id like, no spray lines and such so id get the desired result for a fraction of the price.

Its a temporary thing as i am going to get my car vinyled or resprayed somepoint anyway. i just like tinkering:P

Any help or advise on painting the bonnet with black matt spray cans would be appreciated, buff as it sounds lol!

After Jafest and seeing a celica paintined with nothing more than hammerite spray cans or something, i was actually impressed with the results. Iv decided im going to paint my bonnet this method. Black with a matt finish.

Pretty sure i remember someone here doing their whole supra this method... Evin was it?

Do i need to sand the bonnet first? I can then sand out the stone chips on it if so, or will it give me a different finish than if i just sprayed it? I assume the paint would have issues sticking to the gloss laquer of the bonnet currently without sanding.

It would save me a load of cash doing it this way, and the results on the celica were pretty much the results id like, no spray lines and such so id get the desired result for a fraction of the price.

Its a temporary thing as i am going to get my car vinyled or resprayed somepoint anyway. i just like tinkering:P

Any help or advise on painting the bonnet with black matt spray cans would be appreciated, buff as it sounds lol!

You risk causing expensive 'damage' and destroying any resale value the car may have.

I think the whole hammerite technique has been done to death now, have you considered a nice sandtex or Dulux weathershield? they are both exterior grade and the sandtex can give a nice textured finish. They can be applied by brush or roller to save on all that 'diy' rattle can bodging. If you really want to go to town, then Dulux 'Once' is highly recommended on the saxo forums

good luck

I think the whole hammerite technique has been done to death now, have you considered a nice sandtex or Dulux weathershield? they are both exterior grade and the sandtex can give a nice textured finish. They can be applied by brush or roller to save on all that 'diy' rattle can bodging. If you really want to go to town, then Dulux 'Once' is highly recommended on the saxo forums

good luck

Or plastikote texture.... can just imagine the insurance claim 'So sir, how exactly did you get gravel rash going OVER the top of someone's car'....

You risk causing expensive 'damage' and destroying any resale value the car may have.

He's only going to paint the bonnet ;)

£300 gets it properly painted in any colour he likes so hardly expensive to put it back to stock

What is wrong with your bonnet as it is?