The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Battery relocation?

David P

I have used the search button without success. :(

:sos:

I need to relocate the battery, don't want to loose the spare wheel and keep the job 'tidy'.

My plan was to use multiple smaller batteries in the sub woofer divot, yet I have been told that amps are not cumulative so it wouldn't work! :think:

There is to be a plastic tank for the w/m system to the left of the 'boot', which leaves the right side, right at the back for a standard size battery.

However, I am not keen with the idea of having 25kg hanging out the back. :wacko:

Has anyone found a way?

Input please.

Edited by David P (see edit history)

I

My plan was to use multiple smaller batteries in the sub woofer divot, yet I have been told that amps are not cumulative so it wouldn't work! :think:

Really??? well then all the UPS systems I've seen over the years must be wrong :p.... Obviously up to a point, but a few batteries in parallel would provide more CCAs... So I suspect whoever said that is wrong.

However, I am not keen with the idea of having 25kg hanging out the back. :wacko:

How about two small cell packs under the back seat or drivers seat :)

Now I'm getting really bamboozled. :think:

Today I went to a battery Wholesalers and quizzed their resident boffin, he even came out to the car and looked at the job.

When I suggested using 2 or more batteries to fit into the divot, he pi$$ed on my bonfire and told me that amps were not cumulative.

Edited by David P (see edit history)

Now I'm getting really bamboozled. :think:

Today I went to a battery Wholesalers and quizzed their resident boffin, he even came out to the car and looked at the job.

When I suggested using 2 or more batteries to fit into the divot, he pi$$ed on my bonfire and told me that amps were not cumulative.

Methinks the resident boffin needs to go back to school, maybe he got confused over series and parallel battery systems.

Two or more batteries (of the same brand, size, Ah and voltage) will be cumulative in current if wired in PARALLEL. Voltage would be the that of an individual battery ie. 12V

If wired in SERIES then the voltage will be cumulative of the stated potential differences (depending on the internal resistance of each battery and other factors) and the maximum current draw would be the rated Ah of an individual battery.

I hold a degree in Electronic Engineering and I'm an Electrician (Domestic but have done Automotive) in case you may like some credentials to back up my statement.