The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Aerotop TT6 Project!

Rookey

Hey all,

I figured it was about time to get a project thread up, as I've already started off with some bits, and just purchased a whole bunch of others!

Firstly, I came from a track-racing CRX world, and absolutely loved full throttle in the corners but after about 7 years of owning them I chose to move over to the Supra community. I didn't know much about them when I bought mine, I just knew that I'd been a fan of them for a good number of years and had seen my friends own many Supras so I decided to take the plunge.

This was the CRX I part-ex'd against the Supra:

vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=19513&d=1305289630

This is what the car looked like on the day I picked it up:

vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=19511&d=1305289416

vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=19512&d=1305289611

It's a beautiful aerotop, that's also had a nice respray in "adair" red with the OEM skirts and spats. It has a cat-back HKS exhaust system (which looks to be about 1.5" wide!haha), and a sad excuse for an airfilter in the engine. This combination however sounds amazing, and under full throttle it sounds insane. It had a few issues that I bought it with, such as a broken boot hinge (wear and tear) which I've now replaced, leaky roof which I've siliconed up best I could, a broken dash clock, and it currently has a blown offside rear damper.

So - the plan. The end goal is to end up with a nice 'kitted TT6 Aerotop that I can have fun with on the track (not serious stuff, just enjoying the car really), and have a nice driveable toy on the roads (obviously without breaking laws!).

I've recently painted the interior dash components in the same "adair" red:

vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=19514&d=1305289646

I've also just secured a set of Tein coilovers with EDFC to throw on the car before I head to the Nurburgring again on 16th June, I've also lined up a full 2JZ-GTE engine (BPU'd) with polished cam covers and turbo pipe work, full 3” s/s exhaust & manifold, AEM FIC piggy back ecu, Koyo Rad and Blitz cap, FMIC, strut brace and a few other extras (including my damn clock being replaced!haha)…

I've got work to do with the engine before it goes in, such as replacing the valve stem seals, and just general cleaning up/polishing of the bits.

I think I'm going to put the TT engine in before I go manual (as quite honestly, it's something I can't afford immediately), and that way I'll be able to get used to the power too. Saying that, I'm already speaking to Jurgen about sourcing a Getrag 6spd from Japan, so I don't see that being amazingly far off either.

I've got a friend that will supply me new Rota GTR-Ds with AD08 tyres on (18" 235/40 fronts and 265/35 rears) in matt black, and then I'm looking to go with a full Ridox kit, carbon splitter/undertray for the front, diffuser for the rear, and an APR wing.

The other bits I'm aiming to do along the way is to fit some facelift headlights & HIDs, and I'm still unsure as to what seats to upgrade to. I wanted to have a seat that I could keep the electric gizmos on, but it seems that for decent looking/practical reclining buckets that's near-on impossible!

Anyway, that's the plan so far - I'm positive it will change as time goes on, but I plan to have all of this done within the next 12-13 months.

Any input or advice would be GREATLY appreciated - as I said, I've got history with Hondas (and a little with an MR2) but Supras I'm still learning about, so would love advice from people that perhaps have done these sorts of modifications before :D

I'll update continuously as I move the project forward :)

Cheers

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks :) I agree, much better in black. Yeh I just used a satin black I'd used before from halfrauds... Pain in the arse to get the lenses off but it's been worth it for the outcome. This weekend will be filled with modification goodness though... New brakes, Tein coilovers, edfc and some red caliper paint :)

Yeh I've been into Supras for a long time but mainly raced/drove Hondas until recently when I decided to bite the bullet! I've always had a softspot for aerotops and had to snap this one up :D

Dave

I must admit having an aerotop is nice for chilled out drives and a bit of "posing" ;) but I'm thinking I might get a hardtop as well and kit it out for the track... I can't see the aero handling as well as a full-bodied supe!

Ok so I've just finished up for today!! Oh man, 12 hours of car work can take it out of you!!!

So started with all good intentions and everything was running smoothly. I had a knackered rear shock which is why I decided inevitably to move to the Tein's.

The whole suspension ordeal took a lot longer than expected, but managed to get it all done in the daylight. Then it came to fitting the brakes. Firstly I tried a test fit, bolted everything up, span the wheel and it took paint off the freshly painted caliper :doh:!! So, repainted the caliper and had to shoot out to get some 5mm spacers, they seemed to do the job just fine so pug everything together, and bled the brakes with Dot 5.1 fluid.

I didn't get around to fitting the EDFC so that will now be done tomorrow, and unfortunately I lost the light by the time I had finished so I'll take some more pics tomorrow of the new setup.

Drives fantastically, brakes amazingly wells, and everything's good apart from the fact that my offside front wheel weights are catching the calipers as the go around so I'll be taking then off tomorrow and get the wheels re-balances with the weights on the inside asap. These damn Advans leave no room for error! :)

Anyway, time for bed... Will update more tomorrow...

Dave

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1306624863.072123.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1306624879.184949.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1306624892.352780.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1306624909.354293.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1306624957.522091.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1306624976.585472.jpg

EDFC installed and working fine! Slight knocking from the offside rear again though which is worrying considering that's why I bought the suspension in the first place :D

All in all, a good weekend, finished off with a blinding headache, screwed up back and some cool gadgets on the car ;)

All ready for Nur now!! Woo Hoo! :)

Dave

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1306691851.545783.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1306691910.664988.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1306691945.183556.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1306691967.714311.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1306691995.412085.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1306692018.981056.jpg

Decided to spend today sorting my front speaker upgrade. I chose to go for 17cm JBLs which sound great after the end result... The only problem is that in testing the fronts, the rears couldn't keep up so one of the rears blew! Oh well, looks like I'll have to upgrade them too ;) Got my excuse ready for the mrs hah!

Pics of the build/install attached. The template on here made easy work of it!

Dave

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1307223780.998919.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1307223794.186285.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1307223810.950270.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1307223832.849409.jpg