The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Safe power in an aerotop?

Rookey

Hey all,

Looking to TT6 my aero, and have already started getting bits for the conversion but a question that's been haunting me is about safe power to run...

I was looking to get about 400rwhp after all's said and done, but even driving the aero as it is now (n/a auto) the car is ridiculously flimsy. So I'm just curious if my power aims are too high for the chassis to take? I don't want to have the age-old problem of pushing a roofless car too hard and having something split - like the old transams, people used to run big power through them but off the line the roofs would pop out!

Dave

Where does the do luck cross bar sit?

If it's the sort I'm thinking of, I'm not sure about it... I want to keep access to the rear seats etc otherwise I'd cage it, but then that sort of defeats the object of an aerotop!

With the roof off the aero's do feel very flimsy, but there is no chance at all of the chassis failing. My current aero used to run around 800bhp and was frequently used for drag runs with sticky tyres, it definetly wasn't a problem but obviously that was with the roof on!

WIth the roof on I haven't noticed any difference to my old hardtop in terms of road use, but expect the extra flex would show up on the track.

The aero's have additional chassis stengthening supports at the front and rear quarters to help with the flex.

Where does the do luck cross bar sit?

If it's the sort I'm thinking of, I'm not sure about it... I want to keep access to the rear seats etc otherwise I'd cage it, but then that sort of defeats the object of an aerotop!

i have the do luck bar, you keep the rear seats, ironicly this pic has my seats removed tho lol

but the seat goes back no problem, and you still see the bar

heres a pic.....