The mkiv Supra Owners Club

big single stock auto's

Rob_Mitchell

Its the torque the will kill the box mate, 500-550ftlb is the limit mate. If u want big power u gotta gdt a boostlogic or similar in there with a high stall.

Something like a GT35R is perfect with stock box

If u go for 500ish power you'll be fine. Even if it breaks u can get a stock autobox for peanuts these days

yeah so just best i stick with a 62 then, i want something that looks big too but not too laggy. I have done my fair share of research and narrowed my search down to nearly ordering the s362 bw, but just want opinions as its not a cheap mistake to make... and the 72 makes me smile when i see the size but way ridiculous for my aims???

You can fit any size you want Rob, just cap the boost, for the most the bigger the turbo, the slower it will spool, although a lot of the new billet turbos spool extremely quick.

its knowing when the boost will come in though aint it? if i go for a 72 then would it spool different from a manual-auto?

How come you won't upgrade the gearbox? Just get a built 'box if you want an auto and lots of power/big turbo.

how deep do you think my pockets are when i have injectors, ecu, turbo kit, gauges ect ect to get... i will upgrade at a later stage but at the moment im happy to run stock

how deep do you think my pockets are when i have injectors, ecu, turbo kit, gauges ect ect to get... i will upgrade at a later stage but at the moment im happy to run stock

Ah cool, then as Jamie said, get the turbo you want and just run it at low boost until you get the new 'box.

its knowing when the boost will come in though aint it? if i go for a 72 then would it spool different from a manual-auto?

At lower boost you won't get the best out of the bigger turbo, a smaller turbo at a higher boost pressure will be far more responsive. On a manual with more gear ratios to play with you may be able to live with it but I'd imagine on an auto it could be a bit of a PITA. I'd fit a 61/62mm turbo to start with but future proof the ancillaries to support a bigger turbo, then swap turbos when you get the gearbox sorted.